Wooden dowels for wardrobe interiors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning on building my wardrobe interior with panels of 18mm MFC.

However, ideally I'd like to avoid any screw holes etc. Will wooden dowels be sufficient enough, or would I need to use cam dowels too?

And if wooden dowels are ok, would I need to use 10mm? Would 4mm either side of the hole be enough to not break the MFC, or should I use 8mm dowels? Would they hold?

Thanks very much

Sponsored Links

However, ideally I'd like to avoid any screw holes etc. Will wooden dowels be sufficient enough, or would I need to use cam dowels too?
Wooden dowels are more than adequate AND they are actually stronger than cam and dowel fittings providing you drill on something like 64mm centres

would I need to use 10mm? Would 4mm either side of the hole be enough to not break the MFC, or should I use 8mm dowels?
Use 8mm. 6mm are too week whilst 10mm will be more of a risk if you have any amount of rough handling getting stuff into position. 8mm is commonly used in manufacturing industry with 18mm MFC and 18mm MDF and is the best choice IMHO and is what I normally use for 18mm MDF

8x30mm dowels should be a little more than 1p -1.3p each
200 for around £2.50

Wooden dowels are more than adequate AND they are actually stronger than cam and dowel fittings providing you drill on something like 64mm centres

would I need to use 10mm? Would 4mm either side of the hole be enough to not break the MFC, or should I use 8mm dowels?
Use 8mm. 6mm are too week whilst 10mm will be more of a risk if you have any amount of rough handling getting stuff into position. 8mm is commonly used in manufacturing industry with 18mm MFC and 18mm MDF and is the best choice IMHO and is what I normally use for 18mm MDF

Thanks Job

Can you elaborate what you mean drilling on 64mm centres?

Sponsored Links
Can you elaborate what you mean drilling on 64mm centres?
Kitchen and bedroom furniture is made-up (commercially) on what we refer to as "System 32", i.e. many of the holes are drilled at 32mm centres or multiples thereof. So "64mm centres" means that your holes are spaced 64mm apart (or double 32mm). Whilst you can use 32mm centres it is time consuming and really isn't necessary for bedroom furniture. 64mm centres will be strong enough. Of coures doing your own holes means that you can put the holes wherever you want, but I'm used to using 64mm which works well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back