Wooden floor on concrete base ?

GH1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

just about to do ground floor extension and ideally want varnished floorboards as finish to match rest of downstairs. Architect has specified a concrete floor i.e. 150mm Hardcore, 150mm Concrete, 75mm Insulation, 65mm screed plus DM etc.

My question is how would you fit floorboards to this, and is this the best rout or should we go for wooden floor joist aproach which I'm guessing is: Hardcore, Concrete, Floor joists with insulation between and my floorboards on top (plus DPM etc)

Any feedback appreciated.

Gary

Sponsored Links
you can put the floor boards directly onto the concrete. by gluing and strapping the floor boards together.

Other option, most simple, is to install the wooden floor using the floating method on combi-underlayment (DPM+sound-insulation).

Please note that concrete/screed take 30 days per inch to dry out sufficiently - too wet a floor will cause problems with wooden floor.

Sponsored Links
i would always ask for floorboards and joists over concrete base. Much easier to work with when you need to run wires/pipes etc in the future. Also can fit floor coverings straight away. You have prob got a 6 month wait on your concrete base.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back