Wooden Pond Construction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a raised pond along side new decking area . It will be parially raised and around 2.5 x 1.5 metres in size x 1metre deep . Just wondering what is the best construction method . My main concern is preventing the thing from rotting .

So far , Ive considered using railway sleepers and cladding it with the same decking I`m using . Or alternatively using 5" deck posts in the corners , and 6" x 2" timber for the sides .

Can anyone suggest a better construction method , please .

Sponsored Links
Thanks Andy - do you mean concrete block . If so , what size blocks would you use , and would single thickness be adequate .Thanks .

Sponsored Links
Build it in block work and then clad with timber.

Andy

That is how I built this pond.

DSC_0715.jpg

O.K. thanks chaps . Nice pic , Leeco . I like the way youve finished it off using the decking .

What are the lights fixed to . I cant quite make it out - it looks like 4 x 2 post going into the water . Is this o.k.

Here is another pic.

DCP01658.jpg

DSC00558.jpg

DSC00553.jpg

I have built a few ponds like this with decking but I can make these ones at any size these days.

DSC_0795.jpg

Thats exactly the design my Mrs wanted , at first . But we thought better of it . I was worried it might be a potential safety hazzard , so were going for a partially raised jobby :D (She might of pushed me in !!)

Just a couple of questions , following on from the breeze-block and wood cladding suggestion .

Presumably this design eliminates the need for a liner , so youd need a concrete base ?? How thick would the base need to be , working on internal pond dimensions of 2.5M X 1.5M X 1M deep .

Also , what mortar and concrete mixes do you use . Are there any additives I need to put in to aid the waterproofing ect .

Also , just a general pond question . Is it usual to incorporate an overflow pipe for when the pond fills with rain water , or is just a case of keeping an eye on it and emptying with a bucket if necessary ?

If you are really doing it in blockwork not a liner and it is 1m deep, then think about somewhere incorporating a step half way up so that people can climb out easily :).

If your bricks are not square in cross-section, perhaps all it needs is one row of bricks laid flat not on edge all the way round.

Those should be mandatory in swimming pools about 1.2m down; I've only ever seen it done once.

Ferdinand

If you are building the pond that size.....fit a bottom drain, its a must for a pond that size, esp if you intend to keep koi.

I would go block built, then a liner inside....boxweld liner if you can fund it.

You can always clad the outside of the blockwork, and yes lay them on their side.

If you want good water quality, strongly advise on the bottom drain. That way you wont have to put a pump in the water. You wont have a clean pond base if you dont, unless you intend to pond vac it all the time.

Lots of info online on how to fit them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back