Woodgrain UPVC Frames distorting / failing units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had new double glazing installed 7 years ago, recently a double glazed unit at the rear of my house failed (misted) and one on my front bay window started to mist.

Called the installers (who are still in business !) - They finally came round to replace the double glazed units.

The fitter noticed that the actual frame on my front bays seems to have buckled, so that the double glazed unit doesn't sit flat in the frame now .. there was a similar observation on the first floor bay windows.

Now I am concerned .... seems like the frames have changed shape and may have caused the double glazed units to fail.

Can anyone please advice on causes and what to do next please?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You have a bay, is it possible the wall is resting on top of the window frames? This used to be very common in older houses and will work reasonably well with thick timber sections, and soft mortar joints that will accommodate a bit of movement.

I don't know how to put a lintel over a bay window if it has no brick pillars.

Hi, when the guys fitted the bay UPVC windows, they used aluminium posts at the joints of the windows to take the load.

Yes, the bay must be resting on the top of the window ... but unsure why the frame has become so distorted at the base, the cill is raised a fraction too.

The force was enough to nearly move the glazed unit, nearly deparating it ..... over 7 years though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back