Woodlice and flooring question....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I'm seeking some advice or at least confirmation that what I'm thinking about doing is sensible

I don't have a woodlice problem as such, however I am trying to be preventative - particularly before I have all my carpets laid!

I am nearing the end of 4 months spent renovating my 1920s semi. During the process it has been replastered, re wired, re plumbed, new skirting boards… the list goes on.

Because of this I have been left with small gaps between floor boards (I have replaced as many as I can), and whilst replacing the skirting I also noticed gaps between the base of the wall and floor which go into the floor void below.

I did have a problem with 7 rotten floor joist ends which I had replaced - and because of this there were some woodlice in the effected area.

The ground / earth beneath the floor is slightly damp but the house does not have damp problems.

So the question following my long winded introduction…. what is the best way of ensuring that all woodlice are now gone from beneath the floor, and how should I prevent any remaining creepy crawlies from getting through the gaps in my floor boards.

I was thinking of the following approach:

• Use carpet tape to tape over any remaining gaps between floor boards
• Caulk (or whatever is needed depening on size of the gap) to fill gaps beneath skirting.
• Use a smoke bomb in the floor void to kill any creepy crawlies

Re the last point - as this would be in a fairly small space (2 feet deep) - should I have any concerns using a smoke bomb beneath the floor? I have never used these before….

Does anyone have any other suggestions or does this seem reasonable? Short of replacing the floorboards… but the renovation budget won't stretch to that!

Thanks
Robin

Sponsored Links
Thanks - I know I specifically mentioned woodlice but I guess it's any bugs in general that I wanted to minimise getting through the floorboards, house is in a rural area with a lot more bugs that in used to in my previous home!!

Seems futile to stop insects from coming up thru floor boards given the dozens of other options open to them. Given you have rotten flooring all the more important to maintain good ventilation to the underfloor.

If you are carpeting the boards would need a covering of hardboard to prevent boards showing thru the carpet assuming you want a good finish. Carpet tucked under the skirting there would be no way in for insects.

Sponsored Links
I agree - I'm not expecting to keep all the bugs out, but I'm more concerned that I have many more gaps following the rewire / plumbing (where previously the boards were nicely slotted together)

The rotten joists are sorted now. Ventilation wise, I can't see adding tape over the biggest gaps effecting ventilation any more than laying overlay on top... The flooring void has air bricks. I've heard people suggest ply lining when carpeting but never really seen the benefit for the effort, particularly if using a decent (11mm) underlay.

If the boards undulate it will show thru any quality underlay and carpet.

The boards themselves are level, it's just the gaps between the boards I was going to try and do something about.

Regards
Robin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back