woodsealant for small gaps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a mahogany conservatory built recently and the casement windows are leaking- too complex to remove they are 9ft high- I want to seal the casements into the frame from the outside and need a suitable sealant that can be used in a gap of 1-2mm, weather proof and UV stable, preferably clear...any help please?

Sponsored Links
Can you not get the manufactures back to do the job properly ? Or have they told you that’s it’s an internal water feature that add a little something that only there conservatories have to make them stand out from the crowd.

Clear sealant will turn milky in colour with age and stand out like a sore thumb. So I would go for a coloured sealant.

Thanks for the reply, the manufacturer has gone into liquidation.

Removing the casements requires removal of the glass as the fixing screws are behind the glass. So its a big and expensive job but it may come to it.

I will look for coloured sealant, but really need something very 'runny' low viscousity. any ideas?

I don’t think it’s a big or expensive job. The glazing beads will just pop out and out will pop the units. That’s unless they have fixed in using double side gasket.

Once the glass is out remove the casement, apply some sealant to the casement and refit.

Sponsored Links
If its not a job you fancy yourself try a small independent company in your vicinity, with work a bit thin on the ground they might be up for the work.

are the casements screwed to the frame already? ie non-opening that have been made like openers for simplicity at the factory? and the casement or frame has warped opening up the small gaps?

i use this stuff, http://www.buckandryan.co.uk/product.php/section//sn/EVOAPAASC
it's not silicone so isn't incompatible with everything else. i think it is technically superior but is hard to find. i got a load (under a slightly different name, mine isn't advanced!) when screwfix discontinued it a month or two ago. they still do it in brown, but the clear is handy. it's white when it comes out of the tube and clear once cured.

you can push it into quite small gaps but you should be trying to obtain your seal on the surface as the frames may continue warping and tear a 1-2mm sealant bead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back