Woodworm in loft, treat or don't bother?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi appreciate people's experience/opinions on this, I've read tonnes of info from this forum, and various websites and getting a bit confused and really not sure what to do! :cry:
We've got an 1860s cottage with an extension c1900 so the roof timbers are at least 100yrs old, so untreated in anyway. There are wood worm holes in the timbers, plus there are wood worm holes in the floorboards I've lifted upstairs. I can't say I've noticed any 'dust' that would indicate there's any 'live' grubs in there. The floors downstairs are rotten due to poor ventilation which we're in the process of rectifying, then we'll replace the floors so I'm not too worried about them. :rolleyes:
As I understand it, woodworm don't like modern dry and warm centrally heated houses. :?: However, we're going to replace the insulation and board the loft which will mean that the roof timbers will still be fairly cool and damp. So should I clean and spray the roof timbers, or is it a waste of time & money as the chemicals barely penetrate, in any case not deep enough to actually kill the grubs anyway? Did have a surey/quote done but lots of money and possible 'scare' tactics, just don't beleive it really.
There are also some holes in the roof timbers of the (detached) garage, which was built in the 1960s - is this a sign of it 'spreading' or just coincidental.
We live just a couple of roads away from a substantial wood, wondered if that's where the things come from :idea:

Sponsored Links
More than likely that it has been treated some time in the past.
If you want to be sure leave it till around May and then check for any signs of new beetles emerging. That is the time of the flight season so the best time to check for activity.
Load of baloney that woodworm does not like dry and warm houses, have you ever been abroad and seen the damage that they do to timbers in Spain and southern France.
Youre quite right about the wood as the natural habitat of the insects is woodland were they feed on the dead parts of trees.

Thanks for that, straightens a couple of points out for me.

If I was to spray the timbers in the next month would that kill anything alive in the timbers (doing damage as we speak) or do the sprays only actually kill the beetles when they fly out? Im suppose I want to know when/if it's worth doing before the May flight period you mention, or whether I should wait until then to see if any signs of 'saw dust' prove they're still active.
I've been recommended to use cuprinol 5 star - reading cuprinol's website it says don't get it on bitumen felt :eek: If I'm spraying it onto roof trusses and pulins that is impossible to avoid, unless I mask up the entire roof!!! :rolleyes: - does anyone know what effect this has on felt, ie would I get away with just a little sprayed onto the felt? Osshould I consider another chemical instead?
Thanks guys.

The sprays don't kill the beetles in the wood they poison them as they much through the upper layer of wood on their way out to breed and stop them having and female beetle action.

The cycle for woodworm is 3 years so even if you spray you will get emerging beetles for the next 3 years or so. I would get in rent'o'kill if only for the 30 year garauntee they give.

Sponsored Links
It's a LOT of money though, if I don't need it done.
Plus the companies I got quotes from wanted the loft emptied of insulation and cleaned first - if I'm doing that I may as well spray at the same time!

Just got this reply from cuprinol

"Thank you for your email.

You can use the 5 Star Complete Wood Treatment through our Cuprinol shed and fence preserver sprayer - not the power of green sprayer - as these are for water based products and operate at a different pressure. The odd splash of this product will not be detrimental to the felt however if liberally applied it will soften it. If possible then try and mask it off. "

So I'm supposed to mask up my entire roof? Seems silly must be a better product out there?

Is it too much to flood coat with a brush? This is a messy business so you would need some loft floor covering/protection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back