Worc Bosch boiler playing up...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a new Worcester Bosch Greenstar 37 fitted just over 9 years ago, brilliant boiler, never a problem. Then two weeks ago, no hot water. Up into loft to find boiler dead. No lights, nothing. Nada. Called out the Plumbing/Heating firm that fitted it/did the re-plumb of the house, who took the front off, had a look & a fiddle and found the isolation switch next to the boiler had burnt out due to "a standard 13a fuse being left in the switch when fitted, instead of being changed for a 3a fuse..." (we had the whole place rewired at same time as new boiler) - so he advised me to fit a new isolation switch & 3a fuse which I did. The boiler now started up and worked as before.
Then a few days later, no hot water. Odd. Up into loft to see a flashing 'EA' in the digital panel. I did the 3-second reset, did the trick, all was fine again. Since then, it's been doing this every few days. 'EA' seems to flash ON for longer than it's off, with the alternating blue light, if that makes a difference?

So I wonder if anyone might be able to give me a pointer as to what is going on? Rest assured I am NOT going to get involved if it's anything more than a push-button fix that I can easily do. I just want to know if this is a known issue before I spend more money for a callout charge/service fee!

Thanks in advance - hoping someone can offer some advice!

Sponsored Links
So the fused spur burnt out because it had a 13 Amp fuse instead of a 3 Amp ???? total rubbish, if it popped a 13 Amp then there is a real problem with your boiler or its electrics, the EA on the boiler is not connected, that is a different problem

Thanks Ian. From what I understand, the actual fuse was ok. Trouble is, as someone who knows zip about these things, I could be told anything... The 'live' wire from the boiler inside the fused isolator switch had burnt through so had lost contact - see attached image. I think we probably need to call in an electrician to check it out...
IMG_8403.jpg

Sponsored Links
May well have been a loose connection to cause the burning, as you say, but having replaced the isolator switch & fuse (for a 3 amp...) I'm still left with this EA error every few days.
Any ideas why this may be happening? The boiler is not quite yet 10 years old, so is possibly still under warranty...

He said he was not allowed to do it when I asked him - not certificated to do it, he said he was "on the technical side of things..."! I ended up fitting the switch myself.

When you replaced the isolator did you ensure that the screw was pressing onto the wire and not onto the terminal plate with little if any pressure on the wire

0x91.jpg

Bending a U end to the bare wire creates a better connection

When you replaced the isolator did you ensure that the screw was pressing onto the wire and not onto the terminal plate with little if any pressure on the wire

View attachment 164774

Bending a U end to the bare wire creates a better connection

Yes, I did several years in Avionics a long time ago, but those lessons in how to make a firm connection never leave you! But a great reply, thanks!

looks like it has had a poor connection, cut the wire and strip it and make a good tight connection and fit a 3 Amp fuse, the post about a fixed price repair from worcester wont work they will not repair anything outside of the boiler

looks like it has had a poor connection, cut the wire and strip it and make a good tight connection and fit a 3 Amp fuse, the post about a fixed price repair from worcester wont work they will not repair anything outside of the boiler
Lol...stop taking those drugs ffs ,,the hot water issues are certainly to do with the WB appliance!

When was it last serviced?. I’d look at the condensate trap before anything else

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back