Worcester 24i Boiler Pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I hope someone can help me, I have a Worcester 24i Boiler which I keep having to top up the water in it. I have bled the radiators and the pressure still drops, I have check as much as possible for a leak and could not find one. I have noticed that if I dont have the boiler running, ie move lever from auto to the off position, the pressure does not drop at all, then when I turn the boiler back to the auto position the pressure dropped within 24hours. Obviously I can keep topping up the water pressure, but I dont really want to be checking it every day. Also am I doing any damage to the boiler/CH system with topping it up?

Thankx for your help in advance

Dirk(Losing Pressure!!!)
:)

Sponsored Links
if it isn't leaking from the pressure relief valve outside or any obvious place then try adding some internal leak sealer. Constant topping up will damage your system through corrosion.

ollski said:
if it isn't leaking from the pressure relief valve outside or any obvious place then try adding some internal leak sealer. Constant topping up will damage your system through corrosion.

Gonna sound stupid I know, but would the pressure relief valve be the little bit of copper pipe sticking out of the outside wall at the back of the boiler? cause I have noticed that water is coming out of this on a regular basis, could this be my problem and is it easy to fix?

Thanx

Dirk

Yes, the valve lets off the pressure when it gets too high and once they have gone they normally get a bit of grit or something in them to prevent them sealing. Bit awkward to get to in this boiler and requires a drain down. If you take the front cover off you will see brass fitting with a red cap that is what needs replacing. You also need to find out why the pressure got so high...did anyone carry out some work on the system or did you top up pressure yourself before problem started?

Sponsored Links
thanx for help, the boiler has been like this since I bought the house, so could not answer your ? about maintenance. to replace the brass fitting, do I just unscrew it and put a new one on, or am I best getting a plumber? or purchase the part and get it serviced and ask them to fit it?

Thanx again for your help

dirk

Thr PRV on the 24 i is held in place with 1 clip and one 1/2in nut ,new washers are supplied with the new valve ,simply turn off the power drain down the boiler (twist and hold open the red cap)and replace the valve.

New one might still leak if the original is letting by because of excess pressure.

Alan

My boiler was just the same as this - always building pressure and them venting via the PRV. Replacing the heat exchanger cured the problem completely

Tony

My boiler was just the same as this - always building pressure and them venting via the PRV. Replacing the heat exchanger cured the problem completely

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back