worcester 24i poor hot water flow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
any help appreciated
4 year old worcester 24i, has been working with no probs, but lately the flow of hot water has been getting slower altho heating well. Its a very hard water area, I thought maybe the heat exchanger might need descaling/replacing, would this sound feasible.
Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Sounds as if you need a de scale or replacement as well as a scale preventr/reducer fitted.

You might find that the problem is the boiler side of the plate to plate herat exchanger, and consists of debris from the radiators (small pieces of 'oxide scale') rather than limescale in the hot water side.

Either way, it can be cleaned. But if you do it yourself, be prepared for some difficulties ( ;) ) getting it watertight again!

24I does not have a plate heat exchangern ? Expect to pay around £220.00 for a replacement heat ex from Worcester supplied and fitted

Sponsored Links
Croydonchappie - how would grot on the boiler side of the h/e slow the tap water flow. No mention of adjustments by user to compensate for temperature.... Maybe this boiler does something I don't know about?

before you get too carried away it would be worth replacing the filter on the DHW inlet, between the isolation valve and flow switch , then the flow restrictor on the flow switch, then maybe start looking at the heat exchanger.

Whoops - my mistake. As someone else pointed out, the hot water is heated directly in a 'bi-thermal' heat exchanger on the Worcester 24i. There is no 'plate to plate' exchanger!

Follow advice already given - check the filter and flow restrictor first - they may well be the cause and they're easier and cheaper to deal with than the main HX!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back