Worcester 24I RSF combi help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Very helpful forum this, so thought I would register and see if anyone can help with the issue I have.
A couple of months ago we noticed that when running a bath, the water wasnt staying hot. The boiler would initially fire up, and then maybe 10 mins later,the burner goes out and the water ran cold. This was also happening with the radiators when the central heating was on.
After looking on this forum, it was mentioned that a faulty relay on the pcb may be the culprit, identifiable by scorched contacts. This was identified, replaced, and so far, the hot water has worked as it should.
However, I noticed a few days ago, that now the boiler is clicking off every so often, before the set temperature on the room thermostat is reached. However, the radiators stay piping hot this time, rather than dropping in temperature when the burner stops. its as if they are on full, too hot to touch by hand. (main boiler heat control is set to about three quarters on).
So basically, the system reaches the temperature set on the room thermostat, but the boiler clicks off quite a few times whilst getting the system up to temperature. Is this a fault, or should it burn constantly all the way up to the required room temperature?
Also a bit concerned in case its working more inefficiently than it should and burning £££££!
Had a chat with a gas engineer today and he felt maybes the thermistor or flow switch could possibly be causing this.
Where would I find the specs of these components to be able to check for faults? He also said to test them when the fault condition is present, the contacts on each sensor need to be shorted. Is that correct?
Any help greatly appreciated.
Many thanks,
Lee

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
thermistor:

10k at 20 celscius dropping to about 3k at temperature

or flow switch

pulses depending on the flow rate prolly about 20-30 hertz

He also said to test them when the fault condition is present, the contacts on each sensor need to be shorted. Is that correct?

sounds like gonads to me

Hi. Is that crap that hes told me then? How do I test there components, and in your opinion, are they the likely cause?
Regards,
Lee.

Hi. Is that crap that hes told me then? How do I test there components, and in your opinion, are they the likely cause?
Regards,
Lee.

Well it sounds like toss to me

To test the NTC you need a meter that will measure resistance, the obvious way to test the pressure switch is to use one that can measure frequency (CPC sell on that will do both for just over a tenner

The relay you were describing is prolly the fan control relay, and unlikely to be the source of your current problem

There are a number of possible culprits for your problem, pcb, scaled heat exchanger etc. You will have to investigate a bit deeper and see exactly what is going on

Which boiler is this..Is it the original i with a grey front at bottom or the recent condensing version?? (all white)

Hi. It's the older one with the grey facia at The bottom. I can see from these replies its not going to be something I can sort myself :(
I just don't want some 'parts replacement expert' to charge me a fortune and still not fix the problem.
Cheers
Lee

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back