Worcester 280 Hot Water problems !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm getting intermittent hot water from out boiler. Seems to take a few mins to get hot although doesn't ever get very hot at the moment, then will go luke warm for a little, then hot etc....

I've also noticed the flame will go out intermitently for 10 secs or so and relight etc...

CH doesn't seem to be affected.

Should the flame stay lit while the HW is running?

Any ideas on what the problem maybe??

Many Thanks...

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a well blocked secondary heat exchanger!

Tony

The flame should stay lit if there is a reasonable flow rate over 3 li/min.

Tony

wow...quick replies gents, thanks.

Flow rate is fine, I think BG checked that a while ago when doing a quote.

Would a "well blocked secondary heat exchanger" cause the flame to extinguish?

Sponsored Links
Ok here's an update... Had the plumber round...He observed the symptoms I described and then talked with Worcester....they're saying it could be the motorised diverter valve and would probably be un-economical to fix....

They also say there's a small chance of it being the Thermistor so we'll definitely try that first ...

There's been no mention of the heat exchanger though...

Currently the DHW problem has got worse....only luke warm water, but the boiler still fires up....

Does this sound right??

Ok here's an update... Had the plumber round...He observed the symptoms I described and then talked with Worcester....they're saying it could be the motorised diverter valve and would probably be un-economical to fix....

I dont remember seeing a motorised diverter valve in a 280 before.

Since the motor heads are only about £40 I dont see why that would make them uneconomic to repair!

Tony

Replacement of motorised valve is fairly easy. The build quality on 280 a lot better than current Bosch boilers. At least the 280 is all metal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back