worcester 28cdi diverter and expansion vessel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a worcester 28cdi combi boiler, the diverter valve and the expansion vessel needs replacing, what would be the going rate to fit these parts, thanks steve97.

Sponsored Links
Depends a bit on how the access to the boiler is, guess you are looking at £300 -£400.
Unusual for both of these parts to be shot at the same time, how did you reach the conclusion they need changing?

Why spend loads on a replacement vessel.
If it can't be re-charged its cheaper to add another vessel to the system so long as you have space for it.
Sometimes its the schraeder valve that leaks over time I've started replacing the tiny valve inserts they have

Expansion Vessel is a simple job. The divertor..... not so!

If the customer supplied parts (which a lot of mine seem to do in the current economic climate), Id charge the time it takes. At least half a days work there.

Paul

Sponsored Links
dont remember ever changing an expansion vessel on a cdi as it looks a total **** of a job, i just add another on the return.

diverter can be a little time consuming but a piece of **** as long as nothing else leaks. hopefully the OP doesnt want to change the diverter for the diaphragm alone as that is unnecessary.

Expansion vessel aint easy on these boilers. In fact the diverter valve needs to be removed. A real pig of a job! Worcester will repair it on a fixed price repair scheme for £165 i believe or £225 if heat exchangers need changing. In your case this would be a real bargain!

Depends a bit on how the access to the boiler is, guess you are looking at £300 -£400.
Unusual for both of these parts to be shot at the same time, how did you reach the conclusion they need changing?
i got a leak and was told the diverter valve needs replacing, upon having this done the expansion vessel has now gone (water coming out of middle/seal of vessel) so now i need both parts replacing (the expansion vessel was ok beforehand). i have been quoted £430, does this seem alright. thanks steve97.

i got a leak and was told the diverter valve needs replacing, upon having this done the expansion vessel has now gone (water coming out of middle/seal of vessel) so now i need both parts replacing (the expansion vessel was ok beforehand). i have been quoted £430, does this seem alright. thanks steve97.

give worcester a phone for a fixed fee repair, probably be cheaper and doubtless something else will leak while hes got it all apart, the worcester guy will have it all in his van.

It is a boiler off the wall job, but its very easy to do to be honest.

An hour should be suffice.

Paul

at 430 sqirrals why not bite the bullet and av a new boiler fitted :?:
the price seems excessive imho

if its costs for a replacement vessel only the parts and labour should be no more than 200 sqirrals i reckon :D

If he was local to me, £315 inc Parts (plus a service).

I just like them old Worcesters!

Paul

Had not thought about the worcester fixed price repair, but that will indeed be a good idea here.
I quite like the old cdi's, and would certainly advice to keep it. Once it is working fine again, get it serviced annually, check that the system is clean, and if in doubt do a chemical flush. Fit a magnaclean on the return pipe, keep the inhibitor at a good level, and you can expect another 5 to 10 years use out of it with very few problems. Cleanliness of the system is very important; I do more repairs and replacements due to corrosion than anything else.

I'd fit a remote expansion vessel and cap the feed to the old one on the boiler so it can't leak. Expansion vessel on these is about the worst job I can think of.

About 2.5 hrs to change the expansion vessel on a CDi (albeit a nasty job) or 1/2 hour if you've plenty of access to the left hand side of the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back