Worcester 9.24 electronic bolier- can't light it!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help, can't re light the pilot light, can't understand the instructions or find the buttons I'm supposed to press!! Where's this grey button??Tried turning everything off then back on & turning temp up but nothing. No idea if red over heat button is depressed or not as it won't budge.

Sponsored Links
Your boiler does not have a pilot light so not surprisingly it does not have controls like older boilers.

It lights the gas itself when required.

If there is a fault then it sounds as if you will need to get a competent boiler engineer.

Be aware that your boiler is quite old and some parts are now obsolete. Not many will be keen to repair and will probably suggest replacement.

They can be repaired by an enthusiast though.

Tony

Thank you, I have re lit the pilot light before, there is a little flame you can normally see through the window when the front cover is off. I just can't remember how I did it. Going to phone British Gas now :( Thank you for replying x

Well perhaps I am wrong and they did make some boilers with a permanent pilot light but kept the name "Electronic" on the front but in that case they would have a procedure and controls for lighting the pilot.

All I can say is that all the Electronic 9.24s that I have seen have been electronic ignition. All other boilers that I have seen with the name "Electronic" have also been electronic ignition as that was the selling point at the time because it did not waste gas burning at a pilot light.

British gas will be an expensive option compared with a local engineer and they will probably say your model is too old for them to consider as parts are not available ( only partly true as the fan and o/h stat are the only parts I know of ).

Tony

Sponsored Links
I have instruction manual for this boiler.
If any use i can e-mail you a copy of instruction to light pilot.

Well perhaps I am wrong and they did make some boilers with a permanent pilot light but kept the name "Electronic" on the front but in that case they would have a procedure and controls for lighting the pilot.

All I can say is that all the Electronic 9.24s that I have seen have been electronic ignition. All other boilers that I have seen with the name "Electronic" have also been electronic ignition as that was the selling point at the time because it did not waste gas burning at a pilot light.

British gas will be an expensive option compared with a local engineer and they will probably say your model is too old for them to consider as parts are not available ( only partly true as the fan and o/h stat are the only parts I know of ).

Tony

Thanks, only using them as we have the Homecare insurance. Hope they can sort it!

I have instruction manual for this boiler.
If any use i can e-mail you a copy of instruction to light pilot.

Thank you, I have the manual just can't find the buttons it refers to!! Switching it all off then back on again usually does the trick but not this time.

Friends of mine have the said boiler, with permanent pilot. Remove/open the lower panel at the front, you should see a big grey knob and a smaller red? button. Press and hold in grey knob whilst repeatedly pressing red button. Pilot flame should ignite. Keep grey knob pushed in for about 30 seconds, then slowly release. This should establish the pilot flame. If it doesnt ignite then you will need someone to look at the boiler.

Switching it off will not extinguish the pilot flame, it only stops the boiler from running as it requires an electricity supply to operate. Extinguishing the pilot can only be done by either turning the grey knob, or isolating the gas supply.

Friends of mine have the said boiler, with permanent pilot. Remove/open the lower panel at the front, you should see a big grey knob and a smaller red? button. Press and hold in grey knob whilst repeatedly pressing red button. Pilot flame should ignite. Keep grey knob pushed in for about 30 seconds, then slowly release. This should establish the pilot flame. If it doesnt ignite then you will need someone to look at the boiler.

Switching it off will not extinguish the pilot flame, it only stops the boiler from running as it requires an electricity supply to operate. Extinguishing the pilot can only be done by either turning the grey knob, or isolating the gas supply.

It's those grey & red buttons I can't find!

Can you post a photo of the bottom section of boiler, minus front panel! We can see what's there and may be able to advise further.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back