Worcester 9.24 won't shut off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, first time posting here. I have a 16 year Worcester 9.24 electronic which has recently developed a fault. A few days ago I noticed the CH wouldn't shut off. I've disconnected the external timer/stat and tried using the front panel switch but still can't shut off the CH. I can use the switch to turn off the hot water though.

The relay is soldered onto the board, so I can't check it. So I'm guessing I need a replacement controller board? Or is there anything else I can try?

If I do need a new board, does anyone have any recommendations for a supplier?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There are so many possibilities and the PCB is only one of them.

I assume you mean the boiler carries on running the CH. In that case I would expect its not very likely to be the PCB but external controls at fault.

Needs checking.

Tony

Hi Tony, yes, you have understood correctly, the central heating won't shut off. It's running constantly to keep the rooms at a set temperature. The only control I have over it is the built-in thermostat, which is working as expected. The front panel switch does not affect the CH, only the hot water.

Any idea what external controls off the board would cause this symptom?

I suspect that you have a frost stat fitted, possibly external. ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Is the boiler fitted in an unheated area like a garage with a froststat nearby?

They look like a roomstat without any visible dial usually.

Tony

No, the boiler is in a bedroom and to my knowledge there are no external devices. I can't see any wires running from the casing apart from the mains electricity feed and the timer/room stat I fitted myself (currently disconnected).

I understand the logic, a frost stat would presumably be designed to override the front panel switch to protect the boiler if the property were uninhabited. Could the board have developed a fault causing it to detect such an input? Does the frost stat present a pair of relay contacts to the board like a room stat? If so, are these NO or NC contacts? How would you fault find in this situation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back