Worcester boiler no light/power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, I had a problem with my gas boiler, first engineer said it was the fan, changed that then said it was actually the PCB. Second engineer changed the PCB and (I think) blew the fuse - I was at work and boiler in garage. When i got home I got the message that he'd changed the PCB but found no power to the boiler. I changed the 3A fuse on the socket spur which got power back to the timers but no light on boiler and boiler didn't come back on.
Any idea why this is? if its a simple solution I'd rather not get the engineer back out. There is no on/off switch on the boiler itself. Could it be that he left it in service mode? if so where would I find this switch?

Sponsored Links
That’s on the engineer, how could he leave from replacing something and not confirm it works?

Quite confused was it actually a gas safe engineer or a friend who said he will look at it.

it was a gas safe engineer, he came while I was at work, changed the PCB, the boiler etc is in the garage but the fuse spur that was fused was in the house and rather than call me to say he needed access, he left a message that evening to say he'd changed the PCB but found there was no power so couldnt confirm if it worked. Yes i know (and i have complained)

Which worcester boiler ? I certainly wouldnt replace any pcb without access to the power source

Sponsored Links
Separate timer? Could be internal fuse gone. Why not just get them back, and tell them you want to be there, so they’ll have to work around you.

certainly wouldnt replace any pcb without access to the power source

Some so called boiler engineers really confound me. Why would you even think of replacing an expensive PCB when there wasn't any power to the boiler? The most basic of checks to run before the PCB is replaced is check the fuse and then make sure there was 240V at the block?

Who to say that they actually changed the PCB, hope you weren't charged for it?

The whole thing has been a screw up from start to finish, I asked if he could do the job without access to the house as the boiler was in the garage and he said yes. I told him to call me if there were any issues as while I couldn't take the whole day off I could probably get home for half an hour if needed - no call. I can see *something* was done (base of unit is loose). When i got home, no heating, no power on timer in house and i called and he said that there was no power to the boiler and so he changed the PCB and left...
What I think happened is he changed the PCB and blew the fuse. Anyway, I checked and changed the fuse, timer back with power but no power to boiler so i don't know if he just didn't turn off service mode or if he screwed something else up, was hoping for a 'flick this switch and all good' response I guess as I don't really want to get him back here, but seems I will have to...

looks like a worcester Ri (only two knobs on front with light in the middle) its approx 7yr old
cpbtiCM

Last edited:
there should be a way to isolate the boiler in the garage tbh. if an engineer was working on it someone in the house could turn it on again and give him a shock. does sound like both blokes have messed up though. part slingers by the sounds of it.

Hi guys, i know it is a bit after the event, but in case other people are searching the web for similar problems i thought i would add my two bobs worth.

Today we had a massive power cut, and the electricity board dug up the road outside our house, to replace a cable...cut a long story short, when power was restored 8 hours later, we had problems with LED lights flickering, and worst of all, the boiler would not restart. I followed the reset procedure, tried everything but to no avail. So following advice here, i called BG and arranged for an engineer tomorrow.
Now cones the weird part, sitting here a hour after the power was restored, the heating burst into life, and the lights all went brighter and stopped flickering. I ventured out and spoke with the engineers and it appears that when they restored the power, it was on reduced “back feed” power. And had only just been boosted to nominal voltages, when i explained about the issue i had, they laughed and said “yep that can happen”

So to summarise:-if your boiler is not firing after a power cut, it could be reduced power causing the problem. Worth checking the voltages if possible with a meter. Hope that helps someone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back