Worcester Bosch 230 - Pressure keeps dropping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Worcester Bosch 230 Combi Boiler (about 10 years old) and I noticed that the BAR level has recently been fluctuating between 1 and 2, it's normally always been on 2+.

About two months ago we bled the radiator at the top of the house as it wasn't heating up, bleeding solved the problem. I'm not sure if the fluctuating BAR level started then, as I don't normally pay much attention to it.

However yesterday, the hot water stopped working and when I checked the boiler the BAR pointer and dropped to zero. I remember the installer saying if the BAR pointer dropped below his red indicator, which is set at 1, then I should turn the little tap on the pipe that supplies water to the boiler, so that the level goes back up.

I did this as soon as I noticed the level had dropped and it did increase, but it just keeps dropping back down to zero after a couple of hours, although the hot water is working now and I tested the central heating (supplying six rad) and it worked fine too.

It's currently working, but the BAR level is at Zero, I've flicked the refill tap on on about six or seven times within a 24hr period, as I thought maybe I hadn't left it on long enough, but as I said it soon drops down again.

There appears to be no leaks and no pipes in the house are wet or dripping.

I hope that's enough info to help with a reply

Cheers
Scott

Sponsored Links
Have you checked the PRV pipe, outside the house?

And when you've finished repressurising, do you disconnect the filling loop (or remove the key, whichever method your boiler uses)?

Softus said:
Have you checked the PRV pipe, outside the house?

And when you've finished repressurising, do you disconnect the filling loop (or remove the key, whichever method your boiler uses)?
Thanks for the swift reply.

I hadn't checked the PRV, I've found and read the manual a bit and have now checked it. The PRV pipe has a constant drip on it, not a flowing one, but it is dripping just under ever second.

I haven't done anything with a filling loop or key. I'm reading through the manual, but I'm having trouble locating the section on repressurising.

If the PRV is dripping then I doubt if you have described the events accurately regarding when you first re-pressurised the system.

Sponsored Links
EliteHeat said:
If the PRV is dripping then I doubt if you have described the events accurately regarding when you first re-pressurised the system.
Hmmm, when I first did it, all I did was turn the tap on that is on the mains cold water pipe in. This is all I was told to do by the installer if the bar level ever dropped below the red line he set.

And I've repeated it about eight times, since, as the level kept going down.

I haven't done anything else, apart from that.

For the PRV to have started dripping it is almost certain that it has been opened either manually or because the pressure valve operated. When this happens the valve does not always reseat itself properly - hence the dripping.

You can sometimes fix this by operating the valve a few times and hope that it 'snaps' back into place.

Just to follow up on the info that was kindly provided, it turned out to be a piece of grit (or something) in or around the PRV.

It was a bit beyond me, so I called a plumber, who duly arrived pointed out that he knew who I was and played football with my brothers and did the job for FREE!

I couldn't believe it, good advice here and then the job gets done for free (well the price of a few drinks, spookily met the plumber in a pub when I was out with my wife that night celebrating our 10th anniversary)

Sorry for the strange post!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back