Worcester Bosch 24i - Too loud (fan?) on ignition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Any help with the following would be much appreciated.

I got a Worcester Bosch 24i system boiler installed about 18-24 months ago. This boiler feeds a Prostel unvented cylinder.

We have lots of hot water, lovely pressure etc etc.

The boiler is in a bathroom airing cupboard and the flue is horizontal through the side wall, quite close (although still within regs) to the spare room window.

This is the basis to the problem. The noise of the boiler when in that spare room makes it hard to sleep.

The cycle is this- throughout the night the boiler comes on with an extremely loud fan noise (the noise is external - not much is heard in the bathroom). After a short time (perhaps a minute) the boiler calms down to an acceptably quiet whisper and stays that way until it turns off.

What I want to know is- can the boiler be tweaked to prevent or damp down this initial noise? If it is simply that the boiler wants to heat the house very quickly then I would sacrifice this speed immediately if it meant a quiter boiler.

Pressure is 1.5bar ish.

I do intend to add a plume kit to direct the exhaust about 2m away. Would this help the noise?

Any thoughts about what might be possible?

Thanks,
Wes

Sponsored Links
My 1st question would be, why have it programmed to come on during the sleeping hours? Most WB boilers start at full fan speed to purge the combustion chamber and to ensure satisfactory ignition, and this is normal and as far as I know cannot be changed.

No way to stop the noise on startup. As mentioned... just set the timer for 7am-11pm or something. The heat loss overnight will be negligible, plenty hot enough for morning.

Sponsored Links
Why did you get such a powerful 24 kW boiler?

Is it really a 6-10 bedroom detached house?

Did you ever calculate the heat loss?

A typical 3 bed semi is about 10-12 kW.

Tony

Thanks for the replies. I will try to ignore the fact that some of the replies seem to be a little bit, how should I say....grumpy?

All I'm asking for is a little advice. So I will assume that I am simply misreading the tone of your replies.

We have the heating on all night currently with the thermostat at a low level because we have two small children and we want to keep the room temperatures above freezing. We live in a very old house which would be difficult insulate any more than we already have, so the assumptions regarding heat loss are way off too.

I do plan eventually to install Evo home from Honeywell which would be the sensible option when we only need to keep certain areas of the house warm (yes I'm going to do this myself OMG!) However this will do nothing to combat the loud boiler.

As for the plume kit, I just want to know what impact this may have on fan noise...in guessing not much if most of the noise is due to intake rather than exhaust but I'd be interested to know.

Lastly I did not do any calcs for the boiler size....I guess that's what happens when you leave decisions to certain professionals without keeping a close eye on things :(

So it looks like I may be stuck- although WB say they may be able to help and are going to visit soon.

in guessing not much if most of the noise is due to intake rather than exhaust but I'd be interested to know.

Oh dear. This lack of knowledge shows why you should get a professional to do it.

I guess that's what happens when you leave decisions to certain professionals

Certain being the oppressive word. Shame you bought the budget (I.e., crap) product stream.... If you have to buy Wooshitter Botch, you're better if getting the CDi.

Nothing to do with being grumpy, but you're asking for advice on things you are not equipped, both in training, and in tools, tov handle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back