Worcester Bosch exp vessel and prv replacement quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Just wanted to check something on a quote I've had if that's OK
Worcester Bosch greenstar junior 25kw combi
Fitted in 2015 and symptom is that when the central heating is turned on, pressure starts low then rises to over 2 bar and water trickles out of the prv pipe outside. Then eventually as the system cools, pressure drops to less than 1 bar

I had an engineer round to take a look and he said expansion vessel needs replacement
As vessel is at the back, the boiler will need to come off the wall which makes it a bigger job and its probably a good idea to change the prv at the same time. Sounds reasonable to me, however

The quote is around £800 and includes draining the central heating system.
My question is does the entire system need to be drained to do this ? Can't my heating system be isolated ?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can't he fit an external exp vess?
PRV replacement is a fiddle, but easily done in an hour.
£800 is taking the pizz.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Does the PRV stop dripping when the pressure drops? I presume he has tried to re-pressurise the EV?

Remote EV would be the choice, if there is a space for one and would be much much cheaper.

Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Could be a blocked hose too. As suggested get another quote, Worcester fixed price repair is a damn sight cheaper.

Last edited:
Here is a video showing how it is done:
(Note: I am not suggesting you do it yourself).

As the others have said, get another quote, esp the WB one.
Also try the re pressurization.
It is recommended (in the video comments) to change the prv at the same time if the boiler is off the wall.

Some more info on the expansion vessel itself.
ALso suggesting how it can be easier to remove dependent upon your flu.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back