Worcester Bosch Highflow 400 HW Too Hot

Sponsored Links
No wonder, that was the first thing he did, looked around and asked me if we had one. I said no and he went to his van and got one ... then cocked the boiler up.

Sponsored Links
i have a query after reading a few books, probably nothing but would like an epert opinion if i may please?

it says cookers have bypass orifice's in the gas valves to allow a small amount of gas to the burner (to the mainoven) . is this correct? as when i turn my gas cooker oven off, the flame dies right out, to nothing at all (doesn't have a thermocouple), but if there was a small orifice then surely it wouldn't go out completely as a small amount of gas would still be getting through?

i was just puzzled and wondered ?

really!! I was thinking of applying for a trainne job with them!!

Maybe not a good idea then?

train with em, get qualified and leave; that's all they're good for.

what do they train you on?? sounds like not very good by the sound of it?? do they teach you the ACS CCN1, is that what is is called??

the acs is a piece of ****, barely even worth doing.

the problem with the BG style of training is a lot of it is based on whether or not you are a muppet. if you have a natural aptitude for fixing things then you will probably do well. if you are an idiot that cant even use a pair of grips then you will struggle for ages to get any sort of level of ability. unfortunately BG seem to take on lots of both types of engineer.

unlike manfacturer reps like dangerlouse you dont get in depth training (rarely anyway) on the appliances and you dont get any of the manufacturer books although the laptop is good for instructions etc though. you also dont get to be unambitious like louse and work on the same boilers day in day out, anyone is going to get pretty good with that kind of repetition.

in short its really down to your own ability not what support or training you get from BG, thats one reason why they get vast amounts of leavers very shortly after their time os out as you get dumped right in it from week 2 really.

i have a query after reading a few books, probably nothing but would like an epert opinion if i may please?

it says cookers have bypass orifice's in the gas valves to allow a small amount of gas to the burner (to the mainoven) . is this correct? as when i turn my gas cooker oven off, the flame dies right out, to nothing at all (doesn't have a thermocouple), but if there was a small orifice then surely it wouldn't go out completely as a small amount of gas would still be getting through?

when the ovens off it is completely off. When the oven is on but has reached temp a small bead of flame stays via the bypass to act as a pilot for when the oven cools enough to go back to main/full flame. simple!

nickso-thanks for your response. i am interested in learning about gas/boilers, etc - i know a bit about plumbing, have done plumbing jobs in the past, not gas though and not on boilers. i understand a bit about how boilers work, components, gas tightness tests, etc.

the ACS does it not teach you much then? does it not give you any knowledge/practical experience on gas appliances at all?

No disrespect meant to anyone but if I had to pay for a diagnosis and it was wrong I would not be happy to pay again.

We had 6 visits in one week to our Highflow 400. The first 5 were from the same engineer who could not find the problem. The 6th from a different engineer who put right what the first had screwed up on his first visit.

Thankfully this was courtesy of a BG contract, if I had had to pay for each of these visits I would not be a happy bunny.

my point exactly. were all 6 visits BG?

Bg chuck out an enormous number of freshly trained engineers and they have to gain experience on the job but they come into the trade a hell of a lot more prepared than the recent crop of 4 week trainees. Most of the guys who slag them now have long since had the benefit of being trained by them and gained experience on the job being paid by them.
There is a lot wrong with bg regarding job times, sales pressures and poor managment, but the majority of the engineers have a high level of skill and knowledge.

when the ovens off it is completely off. When the oven is on but has reached temp a small bead of flame stays via the bypass to act as a pilot for when the oven cools enough to go back to main/full flame. simple!

i kind of get you!! it sayd though the the orifice is open/allowing a small amoutn fo gas through (to bypass) even when the burner is turned off (via the control knob)!

thickso said;

the acs is a piece of p**s, barely even worth doing.

the problem with the BG style of training is a lot of it is based on whether or not you are a muppet. if you have a natural aptitude for fixing things then you will probably do well. if you are an idiot that cant even use a pair of grips then you will struggle for ages to get any sort of level of ability. unfortunately BG seem to take on lots of both types of engineer.

unlike manfacturer reps like dangerlouse you dont get in depth training (rarely anyway) on the appliances and you dont get any of the manufacturer books although the laptop is good for instructions etc though. you also dont get to be unambitious like louse and work on the same boilers day in day out, anyone is going to get pretty good with that kind of repetition.

in short its really down to your own ability not what support or training you get from BG, thats one reason why they get vast amounts of leavers very shortly after their time os out as you get dumped right in it from week 2 really.

the acs is just a bare minimum safety test, no measure of skill at all like thickso says and bg training is totally inadequate-the induvidual's ability is by far the most important factor. I also agree that bg just dump the new trainee's in the deep end and it's sink or swim with very little support from management-some take to it and some don't.

Personally I managed to stay in the top 3 on my patch for several years but found the sales and constant sorting out of the dodgy engineers jobs tiresome; some engineers just dodge anything remotely difficult and stitch others up by booking parts in for their rest day for example (even if it's 4 days away).

bg management are tossers and the union are in their pockets; profit comes above safety and everything else, who cares if a few customers die if the share price is good? :evil:

constant sorting out of the dodgy engineers jobs tiresome; some engineers just dodge anything remotely difficult and stitch others up by booking parts in for their rest day for example (even if it's 4 days away).

i always find a healthy dose of shouting, threats and swearing at the individual involved usually sorts out any problems like that. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back