Worcester Bosch Trap Filling Programme

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, my 4 month old Worcester Bosch Greenstar HE display flashes between the temperature and -¦¦- for a few minutes, each time it fires up. According to the manual, this is the trap filling programme, and consequently, the boiler doesn't reach the set temperature until this has finished. The manual states this is normal after installation and when it has been out of use for a long period. Is there likely to be something wrong with my boiler or the installation? I have looked underneath the boiler and can see the trap filling up when this is displaying. I am assuming that once filled, it should stay filled?
Is this anything to worry about? The boiler, water and CH get nice and hot, but obviously not until the trap is full again.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Prof.dumb said:
This is under guarentee get worcester out.
..and end up paying their call out charge if it turns out to be an installation fault, like an incorrectly arranged condensate drain.

Been in contact with Worcester - they suggest it could be a wiring problem - should have a constant live to the boiler. Have looked at it again, and the power light only show when heat is being called for, so looks like they could be right. Sparky is coming round to check it out, so hopefully will be sorted out and we'll have instant heat!

Sponsored Links
Yes I was thinking this too.

I suppose a spark wired it up in the first place? Big mistake.

I'm sort of making a hobby of asking sparkies searching questions. I'd be really worried about most of their' knowledge of heating controls. Glad I do my own.

Yes he did, although to be fair, he previously put in our new consumer unit and redid the lighting circuits and did a top job. I've had a look inside the wiring box and it was far too complicated for me. Everything else seems to work okay, just the lack of constant live!

Kev you don't have to reset the filling mode, it comes on every time the boiler is powered up, as someone said above the problem is that the sparky didn't provide a permanent feed to the boiler and a second control feed from the external controls.

I get phone calls all the time about the Buderus doing this when someone who is unfamiliar with them wires them up.

I think Buderus owe me a new coat for the coming winter my old one (which incidentally I wore to the day being shown round the Worcester factory, they didn't like that, but did they gove me a nice shining new worcester one? You guessed it.) for being their unofficial helpline. What happens is punters on here see me bigging them up then they get their installer to ring me when they don't wire it up right. Sadly the dutch english translation is wanting, and things are different now to when they were fitting E types.

must leave the dog alone on a friday :oops:

images

Hi guys this a normal part of the boilers software program. The syphon will fill up from new for 10 mins and then again any time during the day to ensure there is enough water in the trap. There is no sensor on the trap to tell the board that it is full so at least once every 24 hrs it will go through this routine.
Nothing to worry about and don't bother calling Worcester as they will tell you the same thing or charge you a call out to tell you the same thing, and don't replace any parts it aain'tbroke so don't fix it ;)

Rox2y said:
Hi guys this a normal part of the boilers software program. The syphon will fill up from new for 10 mins and then again any time during the day to ensure there is enough water in the trap. There is no sensor on the trap to tell the board that it is full so at least once every 24 hrs it will go through this routine.
Nothing to worry about and don't bother calling Worcester as they will tell you the same thing or charge you a call out to tell you the same thing, and don't replace any parts it aain'tbroke so don't fix it ;)

This is very wrong.

Yes there is no sensor but it only goes into the condensate refill program when there has been an interuption of power to the boiler or the boiler has been turned off. I think yu will find it is on longer than the 10mins you stat and although it will not effect DHW(if it is the combi version) it can take heating aboult 25mins extra to heat up. If is did it daily as you state it would constitute two flaws to a modern condensing boiler.

1, It would be annoying as heating demand would not take place at the exact time required.

2, It would be highly innefficient, burning gas uneccessaraly for about 25 mins every day,

It is a fault is with the wiring (the poster states that the lights go off on the boiler with no ch demand).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back