Worcester Greenstar Combi Boiler - need warmth on a cold day

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just when things take a cold turn it seems my boiler has decided to go kaput.

I have a worcester greenstar 24ijunior/28ijunior (not sure which)

this is my problem, when turning on the boiler it goes through the process of starting up. the burner indicator (orange light) comes on and then comes the noise...

the noise starts off with bubbling, going into slight knocking, followed by more bubbling, then a pop... the orange light then goes off, everything winds down... then after a few seconds, the orange light comes back on, then more bubbling, more knocking, even more bubbling.

It then displays the following light sequence

2 flashes of the red reset button followed by one flash of the blue on/off indicator light.

Cant find anything in the manual to cover that.. would really appreciate any help.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Now thats what i call a response.

I braved the cold with a kettle full (or 4) of hot water over the plastic white pipe and i am now sitting in a slowly warming room

Thank you very very much for that, have a virtual pint on me.

On a further note, is there anything i can do to stop that from freezing over? would a cover help?

I just cant believe that when you need it the most it fails for such a simple reason.

Thanks again.

yeah you can fit a larger diameter pipe or use pipe lagging but this looks unsightly i would go with generally 1 1/4 waste pipe

i dont drink but sent me your address and ill get invoice in the post right away ha ha ha

Sponsored Links
Well if you dont drink then have a toasty warm cup of tea on a cold cold night, i know thats what i'm doing now

I'll look into getting the pipe changed, might just wait for the big thaw before i get out there messing around with that.

Thanks once again.

THANKS SO MUCH gassafeengineer...

I woke this morning to a freezing house, our boiler had failed to come on...

a quick google search to find "worcester bosch bubbling noise" brings me here.

I thaw the pipe as you describe and now me, my wife and kids are getting warm!

I don't know what my neighbours thought, seeing me climb a ladder with a kettle in one hand at 0630 this morning.

oh, please note, this is my first post. i'll join and hopefully offer some of my knowledge in return for yours.

thanks again, I really appreciate your comments.

magpie.

I've had the exact same issue and thought this thread would sort it but after doing everything as outlined my reset button is still on. Added complication is my downstairs kitchen water isn't working but upstairs is.
My boiler is also downstairs but there is pressure showing on the boiler so I'm guessing that the water is getting to the boiler.
Any ideas??

Could my problem be the weather too? - Woke up this morning and found the boiler with flashing blue error light. (slow flash, "normally off, flashes on") There was warm water for a short time when I turned the sink tap on from residual heat, so I don't think it can have been off too long.

The pressure was down a bit so I topped it up and tried the reset button. All looked good for about a minute, then the flashing started again and the boiler made a kind of loud 'whirring' noise (best way I can describe it really is like an aeroplane engine - no glugs or bangs or anything). I checked that we had gas (gas fire in lounge works ok) and the water is not frozen, then tried to reset again ... exactly the same - thought it had worked, then it went again after about a minute.

Any ideas?

Thank you

thanks very much gassafeengineer! (and google!). am now warming up again. i did think it was a strange co-incidence that my boiler died on the coldest night of the year: 3 kettle fulls sorted it out. my service contract people could probably save themselves a lot of call outs by asking people to check this. thanks again!

Looked on a few other forums where one told me that my Reset might of locked out and to do a full reset which involves holding the reset button for a full 60 seconds. Did that and eveything came back on!

Still no cold water in kitchen but think pipes frozen under the floor. Off down there soon with blow torch and pipe lagging.

This why they call this island Great Britain because of people like you pal, My bloody heating has been off for two days, with a cold wife and kids and the threat of having to go to the inlaws for the weekend i just read your reply to the worcester bosch question and your bang on, went outside to the plastic pipe to find it was frozen solid but the pipe was 1/2 diameter, on further inspection i found that the pipe had frozen because some clever plumber decided to put a u-bend running paralell to the floor to the drain so it frozen from the bend up, i cut the bend off so now i have a straight down pipe, got three kettles of hot water and watched the ice cubes fall out... once again thankyou, this would of proved costly

Well, i just had exactly the same problem, a quick bit of googling brought me here and after the second kettle i heard all the water inside the pipe drain and "wala" heating back to normal. Manythanks for the top tip !!! ( wonder how much that would have cost on a callout ).

Many many thanks

Simon :cool:

Im having trouble with mine. My pipe which goes outside is frozen but it has been cut flush with wall. Can feel ice block if i put my finger in - can see ice. Anyone any help with this as plumber i am not. Although always found this forum helpful. House is freezing had too go out & buy two heaters.

Leeanne. :cry: :cry:

pour boiling water into end of pipe it will soon melt enough for ice to come flying out along with aload of water :LOL: boiler back on

I've found that the most awkwardspot to get to is the length of pipe that is actually inside the wall, Hair drier doesn't have enough puff, paintstripper can bugger the pipe if you're not carful,but f you have a Polti steamer or an old wall paper stripper with the head removed, then these are great to melt the ice as you can force the steam between the pipe and the wall and melt the ice gently without overheating the plastic..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back