Worcester Heatslave junior

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a wall mounted worcester Heatslave Junior that, to be fair to it, must be 20+ years old.

Over the last couple of weeks the pilot light has started to go out regulalrly. Initially it would go out every couple of days but over time it has started to go out more frequently.

It will now only stay on for 20 mins from cold. When it goes out the re-lit pilot will then only stay on for a further 5 mins.

I had an engineer round this week who advised that it was unrepairable, he formed the view that it was over heating because, as he put it, the boiler itself was full of dirt. He explained that the boiler was so old that parts for it were unavailable and as such we would need a new boiler at a cost of two grand for installation.

Does this sound correct? Does anyone think I'm being had?

(as an aside I should point out that previously the diverter valve has gone on the boiler and is currently manually set so that heating and hot water comes on at the same time - not sure if this will make any difference whatsoever).

Finally, the installers have also explained that as my pipe work is 15 bore (?) my pipes will need to be replaced as these newer boilers require a 20 bore gas pipe. Is this right?

Grateful for any help that anyone can provide.

Sponsored Links
The heatbanks on juniors where very prone to scaling up, so guy is not making it up .They where a rubbish boiler even when new. Most parts not been avialable for a while

And gas pipe will need increasing to 22mm for a new combi.
Sounds like guy you have had out knows what he is talking about and not is not trying to have you

Thanks mate, always a bit nervous about this stuff especially given the costs of a new installation.

Is there any way round the replacement pipe?

Not unless boiler right next to the meter as in couple of feet

Sponsored Links
At a cost to replace of £2000 that should cover a Vaillant or similar more expensive boiler and probably a more powerful one too.

Manchester is a quite competitive area and using a cheaper model like Ariston or Biasi the price should be under £1500 inc.

Thats assuming the distance for the new gas pipe is not too long!

However, your fellow clearly has the right ideas and would be expected to do a good job, even if he may not be the cheapest.

Tony

I think he's looking to replace it with another Worcester.

The pipe unfortunately needs to go up and over as its concrete flooring.

Most installers would prefer Vaillant as the price is about the same and the Vaillant seems a little more reliable.

Make sure the system is properly cleaned and the Benchmark is completed and the extended guarantee is activated ( if any ).

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back