Worcester oil Heatslave 20/25 tripping RCD in house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New to the forum and could do with some pointers please...

We woke up to no power on boiler on Friday morning... the engineer that I use said it was a faulty pump which he changed. About 30 mins after he left the radiators were filling up with water (even though the central heating was off) and limited hot water. He diagnosed either divert head or cartridge fault but suspected cartridge. He came back and changed this and for an hour or so all was fine. Boiler then started tripping out on reset button and didn't sound like it normally does. Would reset for a while then wouldn't fire up. Reset button kept popping then when it did stay in as soon as I switched it on the electrics tripped on the main box in the house (boiler in an outhouse).

If you are still reading... any suggestions, already shelled out £250 and still no boiler. My engineer is now away until later this week and I would like an idea what the issue might be before I spend anymore money.

Thanks in advance...[/u]

Sponsored Links
If RCD is tripping after the work on the wet side.
Check for water in the electrics or any leaks.

Thanks...

When I took the silver cover off to push the cut out button back on, there was actually some water in the bottom of the cover.

Also when it was trying to fire up there was steam coming from the boiler.

It wasn't doing this before he changed the pump...

Check the pump valves. If he used these to isolate the pump, then it's a £ to a 1p that they are now leaking. They sit right above the burner and will leak into the burner.

Sponsored Links
Just out of interest, if this is the problem could it have been avoided or would it have happened anyway when changing the pump.

I appreciate it's a DIY forum but would be great to have a heads up before the engineer gets here... trying to avoid spending money again and again because he says that something else has gone.

Worcester charge a fixed fee of £260 which guarantees the fix, if to ever get quoted above this figure, consider calling the manufacturer out

Really... I didn't know this.

Does this cover everything then, I've already spent that this week and still no boiler.

An experienced engineer would have known this was likely to happen. Without spare valves on my stock, I drain down the boiler to change a pump. If he subsequently changed the diverter valve cartridge, then that would have entailed a draindown of the boiler anyway, giving an opportunity to change the valves anyway.
Before he returns, check around the pump for any leakage, and if found, point it out to him. If the boiler pressure is down to zero, you may need to pressure it to check.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back