WORCESTER vs VAILLANT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boss insists that i fit Worcester boilers as its the name everyone knows. I notice on this site a lot of you guys recommend Vaillant. I'm looking for some
opinions and views on whats better and why. One big reason i can see after a bit of online research is that Vaillant boilers have a 15mm gas connection which makes boiler replacements a whole lot easier. With Worcester you can be all over the hose looking for a 22mm gas supply

Sponsored Links
Vaillants need a 22mm supply up to the 15mm inlet.

I prefer Vaillant, stainless steel HE and a lot easier to work on afterwards. If ever I take the case off a WB I get a cold sweat on, put it back on and run.

Others on here such as clf, craig, swear by the WB.

WB also give more incentives for you to fit them, Vaillant give nothing, just sell on their name and quality.

Having read the OP's question, a basic knowledge of gas pressure and flow would help before worrying about which brand to fit.

horhay said:
One big reason i can see after a bit of online research is that Vaillant boilers have a 15mm gas connection which makes boiler replacements a whole lot easier. With Worcester you can be all over the hose looking for a 22mm gas supply

Are you really an rgi ? Surely you know the gas connection on the boiler has absolutely NOTHING to do with the gas pipe size required. You are another shining example of the inept ACS system. :rolleyes:

gas4you said:
Vaillants need a 22mm supply up to the 15mm inlet.

You sure you don't want to amend this nonsense? :rolleyes:

Vaillant quality has dropped a long way but would still reccomend over Worcester. Servicing Worcesters takes far longer than Vaillants to do properly and I would never recommend them on these grounds alone. Apart from the fact that Worcesters are poorly designed for maintenance. Many installers who don't repair obviously couldn't care less after its on the wall. :)

Sponsored Links
Well unless you are fitting an 824 within about 3 metres of the gas meter they usually will. I assumed he was talking about combis, not the smaller 400 and 600 boilers, then I would agree with you.

I would never fit less than 22mm to one of my Vaillant combi's, even though I calculate the pipe size for every installation.

I was really just trying to point out to OP that there is not much difference between them in terms of gas supply needed rather than stating a technical response. I assumed he knew what he was talking about.

Gasguru wrote:
Apart from the fact that Worcesters are poorly designed for maintenance
In Gasguru's opinion ... Not shared by everyone ... Not shared by me ;)

It's down to what you are used to more than anything else and WB make high quality boilers IMO.

MW

Ok megawatt if you consider Worcesters to be great design and high quality lets take the very popular Greenstar Junior, tell us:

How long you take to carry out a full service as per the MI? (full cleaning/flushing through etc)

How long you take to replace/clean out the safety valve?

How long you take to clean/replace the plate exchanger?

All fairly common service/maintenance procedures.

Nothing like choosing one of the most compact designed boilers there is ... Small size comes at a premium GG :LOL:

The WB Highflow 440, for example, bears no relation at all to the Greenstar Junior and is a dream to service.

Besides, speed of service isn't the issue here as it depends greatly on the experience (and natural working pace) of the engineer. I know many engineers who take double the time to service a boiler as their peers and this isn't a reflection on the make or design of the boiler its down to the people.

Some (like me) prefer WB, others (like you) prefer Vaillant such is life ;)

megawatt said:
The WB Highflow 440, for example, bears no relation at all to the Greenstar Junior and is a dream to service.

I'm not talking about the Highflow (anyway some of the previous Highflows are renowned for being a pig to work on so not really a particularly good example)

megawatt said:
Besides, speed of service isn't the issue here as it depends greatly on the experience (and natural working pace) of the engineer.

Speed of service is exactly the issue since time is expense for customer and it is ethical (a very rare commodity in this game) to tell the customer the expected expenditure during the boilers life. So answer my questions then. I've serviced plenty (so will naturally be quicker) and have my own custom kit to help the flushing process.

I don't install anymore so am not biased by manufacturer bribes. :)

I agree that the Highflow's prior to the 440 were not optimally designed but the 440 is excellent.

WB learn from their experiences :LOL:

megawatt said:
WB learn from their experiences :LOL:

So do installers who have tried to repair the older HiFlows !

Having said that I quite like the 12Ri, 15Ri, 18R etc. They go out of their way to make them easy for idiots to fit!

Bit of an anomaly with the plume management kit. Its MORE restrictive where the flue can be when you use a kit.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back