WORCETER 24CDI PRESSURE VESSEL REPLACEMENT.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Look's like the pressure vessel will need replacing on boiler.
The pressure gauge is reading up to 2.5Bar and water coming out of the pv valve when tested.
According to the instruction manual it's a big strip down job to replace the pressure vessel.
Looking at the boiler it looks much easier drilling out half a dozen rivets and removing a plate on the LHS of the boiler to remove the PV.
Has anybody had any experience of doing it this way?
Also I have read on some posts that it is wise to replace the automatic air vent valve, I am wondering what could be the reason for this?
Help appreciated. Gary.

Sponsored Links
Its far easier to add an external EXV !

I doubt any gas engineers would bother drilling rivets and unless it had been tested as a solution might still not allow it to be changed.

Its only necessary to replace an AAV if its leaking or blocked. Not a particular failure point on Worcester boilers.

Earlier models had the AAV inside the combustion chamber which is not assessible to a non gas registered person.

Tony

Check the vessel charge before you change it. If water is coming out the valve on the vessel so be it and change it. However it could have just lost it's air charge. It's also common on these for the plate heat exchanger to pass and fill the boiler. Drain the boiler and don't use it. See if the pressure goes up. If it does the plate is passing

thats a proper coont of a job. do what dave says first and if it is the vessel then add an external one instead.

AAV's are more prone to leaking on these as they are directly on top of the H/E and the rubber seal takes a fair bit of abuse.

Sponsored Links
Never have understood why Worcesters made it so difficult with latter models. The 350, 280 and 924 e/v's could be done in half an hour.

Sometimes an external vessel is not feasable, so its a boiler off the wall job. Keeps you busy for a morning or afternoon.

Davebgas: How did you get on with the bbu heat ex?

Paul

Providing you have the clearence on the LHS of the boiler then indeed, drilling out the rivets and sliding the vessel out sideways is the best option.

Takes about 45mins.

Must have done half a dozen back in my BG days!!!

Paul, went ok I suppose, came out in about 20 mins, new one was a right ****e to get lined up with the fittings! But a car tyre jack and 1.5 hours later it went in. Cheers for the advice by the way mate

Thank's to everyone for the quick response and excellent advise.
I get a big squirt of water out of the pressure vessel valve proving it needs replacing.
Thanks to Harrogategas confirming the method of removing the unit will work. This will save a great deal of time, and the rest of the system will not have to be disturbed.
Many Thanks. Gary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back