Worchester Boiler and spurting tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a worchester greenstar 30si, yesterday i topped up the pressure and a tap upstairs has started to leak.

Today it is spurting and I cant turn it off, so have turned off the mains.

The boiler is at 1.5 as recommended but i think it may have been on 0 for a while :oops:

the tap upstairs is really old and does not have a pop top to change the washer and i cant open the threads half way down to check.

The pipes in the house have been noisy for a while and i have a gurgling radiator upstairs.

Please advise - I have a plumber coming tomorrow afternoon but it will be expensive due to weather conditions :(

do you think I should turn the pressure back down for now?

Sponsored Links
Spurting tap as in on bath or basin? Nothing to do with boiler pressure.

Gurgling radiator is probably due to insufficient pressure which you've now sorted, may be some air trapped that will find its way into a radiator. This can be bled out, but check pressure again if you do. Always an idea to keep a eye on the system pressure, keep it topped up as required, no point letting any out at moment IMO.

Hi Hugh

Thanks for your response.

It is the tap on the bath. I cant turn the water off - when I do it sounds like there is pressure in the pipes as it makes a funny sound

Sponsored Links
Hi Lisa - just to confirm what Hugh has said:
The pressure in your boiler refers to the central heating only.
If the pressure drops, you have a leak on the CH somewhere - keep topping it up until the leak is sorted.
The funny bath tap has nothing to do with your boiler.
You can turn the mains water off and still keep your central heating running.
The bath tap problem is probably no more than a faulty washer. It can be changed as soon as the mains water is turned off.
Hope thats a little clearer?
John :)

Hello again John and thanks

Good to know that is is not the boiler broken

I think I will cancel the plumber and see if I can fit a couple of new taps myself (LOL) as the old ones are crap anyway.

Cheers and wey aye man :LOL:

You really need to ascertain why the pressure is dropping on the heating system. (It wont work when the pressure drops too low, and im guessing you may well need it at the min!) Check the pressure relief discharge outside, if there is water (or ice) here then there's your problem. If not then you have a leak somewhere that needs sorting. (Before you cancel the plumber!)

Looking at your other thread, the humming noise may be typical of water hammer, usually a loose jumper (washer assembly) on a valve that is vibrating, (akin to the reed in a woodwind instrument), and the sound is transmitted via the pipes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back