worcster combi 24i

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can some kind gent help me with this poo poo boiler.
The combi is fitted upstairs and when calling for hot water you have to run the hot tap at full flow to get hot water. If the tap is run at medium flow the water goes cold and to top it all if its run slow the water flow is hot but flows out the tap a milky colour.

Any clues to what the problem might be.

:LOL: Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
First off dont worry about milki water its fine, just the calcium and oxygen being stired up etc put it in a glass and you will see it settle after a while.
Cant tell how good your boiler is without some numbers ,the 24i at full flow should be 8lt per min so if you can time it etc, it should raise the water by 37 deg, in other words if your cold is 10 c then your hot should be 47c if its performing ok at full flow then you have a thermistr prob if its less at medium. What area are you in, is it a hard water area

Have an alternative view to COG about the milky look. It's air bubbles. Put it in a glass as COG suggests, and it will cear from the bottom as the bubbles rise.

The flow rate might be a lot less than COG's figure if the heat exchanger is scsled up, (in which case I might be wrong about the air bubbles). This would explain why the flow switch is not operating at the right point.

Also check the route that the hot pipes take - you might be losing heat, and having to wait a while for the water to get there. The run from my boiler to my bathroom is quite long, as Bodgit & Scarper plumbers didn't do any major re-routing when they replaced my old boiler - the pipes still go via where the old hot water cylinder used to be.....

Sponsored Links
The 24i was never a quick boiler to reach temp ,upto 75 seconds on avv sometimes more its allso not the best at giveing out a steady temp the 28i was better as it uses a flow turbine not just a switch, as oilman says it could be scaled up and the 24i is vunerable to this if your in a hard water area. PS if you still have the little customer information book that came with the boiler it should explain the white water and other combi traits

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back