Workshop Build Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Sorry for a really vague set of questions, but before I take on a potentially big job I'd like to check whether it's one job too far!

I have a spot at the foot of my garden where I park 2 cars (one in front of the other), alongside I have a greenhouse and a shed. The area is approximately 5 metres wide by 8 metres long.

I have had an approximate quote of £700 to have this area concreted up to depth of 4 inches. What I really want is to have a workshop built over this area too. The shed will be donated to my dad, and the greenhouse moved. I'm currently waiting for a quote for a cheap workshop but I expect it will be hugely expensive.

Firstly, planning. I understand that if the eaves are under 2.5 metres, and the ridge under 4 metres (?) then planning permission might not be required. However, the overall footprint would be 40 square metres, would that mean planning permission is therefore required? Also, the nonsense of being more than 1 meter away from a boundary is, well, nonsense. My garden is only 5 meters wide anyway, and most houses in my row have massive workshops and outbuildings anyway. Plus, my neighbours would have no problems with it.

Due to the expected expensive quote, I'm thinking about taking it on as a winter project. I would want it as cheap as possible, but fit to last a good few years. I was thinking of the simple overlap/ship lap type finish. Roof would be the corrugated type. I'd have a single shed door type entrance at the back and a 3 meter wide roller door at the front (sourced separately). Does anyone have any vague ballpark figure of how much the structure would cost in materials? I honestly have no idea whatsoever!

Assuming I do take this on, what is the expected approach? Build a rigid timber frame with roof joists, clad the walls then put the roof on? Build wall panels like a standard shed, tied together by the ends and the roof joists? Lay a couple of course of bricks around to secure the timber to?

Thanks in advance for any tips or ridiculing you can think of!!

Sponsored Links
You'd do better posting in the building forum.

I'd say around £1500 personally.

heeellloo and welcome chrisjcoe :D :D :D

i understand where you are comming from as my garden is around 12-13 foot wide you need to realise that the seperation is more to do with catching fire
i have quoted you here

"the nonsense of being more than 1 meter away from a boundary is, well, nonsense. "
my shed is 12x10 ft
http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/bigall2005/
your shed will be very prominant and will of course need to be checked to make shure its compatable

Sponsored Links
i understand where you are comming from as my garden is around 12-13 foot wide you need to realise that the seperation is more to do with catching fire

That does make a bit of sense at least, never thought planning law was supposed to be based upon common sense!

my shed is 12x10 ft
http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/bigall2005/
your shed will be very prominant and will of course need to be checked to make shure its compatable

So that's about 3.6 metres x 3 metres, which I think is small enough not to need planning permission according to the following ripped from another site

Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwelling house
If you want to put up small detached buildings such as a garden shed or summerhouse in your garden, building regulations will not normally apply if the floor area of the building is less than 15 square metres and contains NO sleeping accommodation.
If the floor area of the building is between 15 square metres and 30 square metres, you will not normally be required to apply for building regulations approval providing that the building contains NO sleeping accommodation and is either at least one metre from any boundary or it is constructed of substantially non-combustible materials.

So even if the maximum height is under 2.5 metres, the fact the floor size would be 40 square metres means it not only needs planning permission but also needs to be build of something other than wood. Great! Which means the other houses in my road must have theirs up without permission. Strikes me that the planning laws are heavily stacked against us peasants who live in normal houses with thin gardens!

if what you are proposing is similar to what everyone else has done they are unlikely to complain
if no one complains and no one notices your fine
so get your neighbours on side and keep it to a size they are happy with

That's what I initially thought too. But, if they are up without permission, then doesn't that nullify the argument?

Also, I had a snoop this morning when taking the dog for a walk! Both their garden's are a lot wider than mine. One has room for a van one side, and the other has a little path big enough to walk down on one side. The other side they both butt up against the neighbours fence. Both made of wood which some may consider combustible!

My main concern is when I come to sell, perhaps in 3 years time. If any surveyor mentions an outbuilding that needs retrospective planning permission, which I know will be turned down due to boundary proximity and material of construction, then I have a costly problem to resolve.

I think I'm going to have to scrap the idea to be honest, as I can't afford to go through planning permission and build it out of brick. I'd be going from an expected £3k to a lovely 5 figure number.

I'd build it if I were you. When you sell you tell the new buyer you will either leave it or dismantle it at no cost to themselves. They'll say leave it. Guaranteed. However, build a suspended wooden floor so there is no concrete slab to remove.

nice workshop big-all! Like that idea of the hinged roof gables to allow storage, nice touch!
i now have several other space saving ideas now incorpirated like
a flap in the wooden door to allow timber to be fed through with the doors shut
a dust extractor on wheels bolted under the roof in the apex at the back [without wheels of course]
the space around the big window has 5 chargers on the pillars each side
there is space for 20 dewalt and ryobi 18v batteries on a shelve and upside down rack above the window
and all sort off ideas lol :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back