WorkShop Project 2007....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, Well ive been thinging for sometime about loosing my shed, and building a workshop... and i think now is the time...

Im going to spend 1 month designing it, and one month to build it....

Hope fully get some help, ideas, or pointers from you guys on here too...

Currently i have a single garage, with shed at the side..... im going to replace the shed with Workshop...

Workshop im going to construct from timber, in a lean to style, so i can use one of the garage walls as a wall to the workshop in the hope to cut down timber costs...

Does anyone know if ill need planning permision for this? my garden is 60ft x 30ft with only Garage in far corner...

Ill be fitting a door through from WS to garage.... its single brick..WILL THIS BE OK?

Eletrics already in shed, so will deal with them later...

Any ideas for optimum angle for roof or workshop?

Should i have wooden or concrete floor?

Insulation ideas?

Should I plaster board or chipboard out the insides?

Any Ideas or pointers on this.... anyone done something simlar?

Rgds

MA

Sponsored Links
Sounds a bit like my workshop/garage.

My understanding is that you don't need planning if it is wooden and smaller than 20m^2 floor area. Also can't be higher that 3m with a flat roof or 4m with a pitched.

I think it can be even bigger if not within a metre of any boundary, but check with your local office (I found this info when I did mine by searching on the web)

I would suggest using plasterboard on the inside (cheap and fireproof) and 3/4" OSB clad with featheredge on the outside.

I built mine with 2X4" timber on 16" centres with the odd 4"x4" every 8 foot for additional strength and 2X8" for the roof members occasionally doubling the roof members up every 5 for strength again.

I lined the lot with 100mm fibreglass insulation and I was amazed how cheap it was (£50 roughly for 50m^2 of insulation)

To give you an idea, mine is just (but everso just ;) ) over 20m^2 area and with a nice well sealing roller door and smaller wooden swing door and with a 2KW heater it is perfectly warm in there even when zero outside (takes about 10mins to take off the chill, then I turn off the heater after 15mins)

It really is well worth insulating, a cold workshop is horrible, plus you get some benefit from the insulation from a sound reduction point of view too.

I went for a slightly sloping roof (1 foot drop from front to back) and rather than the older roofing felt I used EPDM rubber roofing which has been great and easy to install.

Don't forget to make provision for lots of sockets, a beefy supply if you are planning on using power tools and ideally an alarm/cctv for security.

Oh and the cost of concrete is horrendous, I think I needed something like 6 cubic metres for the floor at a cost of £400ish also bear in mind that you might need mesh in the floor too (I wanted a thick strong floor so that I could have heavy equipment in there)

I was going to paint the floor, but ended up sealing the concrete and leaving it at that.

Good luck
-Dan

Thanks for the reply,

After some investigation, it sounds like as long as its of timber constrution, I can go to a floor arrea of 30m sq, (the 1m from boundary is required) which is far bigger than i need, and her in doors will allow...lol

Ill decide on the exact sizes over the coming days.

Im thinking of going for a lean to design, so i can build it onto the side of my garage. does anyone have any recomendations for the angle slope of the roof?

What will be the best way to make the garage wall to roof watertight? Lead Flashing?

im thinking of building this of a timber frame costruction then lining the internal with plaster board, with insulation inbetween the outer timber and plaster baord. What i want is to be able to vreate a dry, Damproof environment, but also a cool one in the summer...again anyone any ideasas to what products to use for me to gain this environment?

Currnetly im not planning any external windows in the Workshop, Could this be a bad idea?

Look forward to hearing more ideas, replys to this post, One I strt constuction il post up pictures as to how im getting along.

Rgds

MA

MasterAbacus said:
Does anyone know if ill need planning permision for this? my garden is 60ft x 30ft with only Garage in far corner...
This is off my head,

Generally speaking, this is the norm and depending on location of your area.

The building doesn't take up more than 50% of your garden.

The pitch roof is no higher than 4m and 3m with a flat roof.

The outbuilding is 5m minimum away from your property.

You can get a free planning guide book from your local building control office for the latest details.

Sponsored Links
masona said:
MasterAbacus said:
This is off my head,

Generally speaking, this is the norm and depending on location of your area.

The building doesn't take up more than 50% of your garden.

The pitch roof is no higher than 4m and 3m with a flat roof.

The outbuilding is 5m minimum away from your property.

You can get a free planning guide book from your local building control office for the latest details.

Mmmm thanks for this reply, but im already sorted with this part of the build... planning, allowences etc.... its now onto the more technical questions as per my last post.

What are you planning to use the workshop for?
This could effect how you build it.

Its going to be used for a hobby / store area mainly.

Its not for putting a car into, as ive a garage for that, but some stuff ill be storing could be heavy, and also the tools il be installing varied power tools / bench tools.

The priority is tht its dry, damp free, and doesnt get over hot in the summer....or cold in winter...

Have you got a nice garden? If so, you could fit a double glazed window into that side for the nice view, especially if you are going to be in there a lot. The natural light will be nice to work in too. If the gardens not nice, or its windy all year round so you wouldnt open the window anyway, then you can cut costs by having a fixed one, non opening, or a couple of smaller single glazed windows at either end.

Get yourself a comfy chair too if its a sit down hobby, then build a desk to that height, or similarly if your standing all the time, build it higher so its nice to work off, and your not hunched all the time.

Lots of cubby holes are nice, but if you're creating lots of dust then they are a nightmare to keep cleaning

MasterAbacus said:
Im thinking of going for a lean to design, so i can build it onto the side of my garage. does anyone have any recomendations for the angle slope of the roof?

What will be the best way to make the garage wall to roof watertight? Lead Flashing?
If it was me, I would use metal sheeting which can go as low as 10 degree, I've used the tiles on a sheet effect (made to look like tiles) on my summerhouse called Versasteel

There is a photo of my summerhouse on here somewhere but don't know where it is now :!: :rolleyes:

Look at epdm rubber roofing, I've got it on my garage/workshop and it is fantastic.

It's kindof a new replacement for mineral felt.

You can glue it down or cover it in gravel or mechanically fix it, just looking at the stuff gives you the impression it'll last for ages, it's like a superdoooper pond liner :LOL:

I'm gonna plant moss and rock type plants in my gravel next year as apparently this keeps the heat off the roof and keeps the room cooler in the summer.
-Dan

i have built a shed from scratch thats 12'x 10'internal size but diy not dosnt like me linking to the thread on another site :cry:

workshop001.jpg

workshop002.jpg

if your interested in the thread i will try and let you see it !!!
it has a running cometary and discusion on the prosses

can we see the thread about the shed please big-all ?? it looks the biz!

Well, this weekend ive been doing some for planning on this project...

Im going to be putting in a concrete footing with a two course brick footing. Ill be building up from there, with a beem suported floor.
What sort of gap shall i leave between the floor beams and atual gravil filled base?

Im planning on using 3x2 for the framwork of the project, with 4x2 used for roof and floor beams.... does this sound ok?

Using a treated timber for the outside (Still to be decided) and a Plasterboarded inside structure, ive obvs got that nice three inch gap to cram with insulation.... Should i just use loft insulation? foil backed? Solid foam? lagging? What do you guys think?

again I need to keep the environment warm in winter, kool in summer... so need to work out my best options...

Im trying to create a none damp, dry environment, Also as id live to work late in the evening too, soundproofing would be great...

Im going to be finalising the measurements etc and taking the first photes later this week.....

Look forward to replys...

i personaly used 3by2" all round treated for the floor bearers and sawn for the walls and roof every thing at 24"inch centres including floor bearers

if youve got a concrete base why not use bricks and a bit of felt or damp proof course

remember to lay the bricks the same way as the floor bearers this will allow you to store wood or any other thing underneath

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back