Worktop repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It appears that moisture has got into a joint between my laminated worktops and has caused a slight lifting and rippling of the laminate along about 50mm of the join, the rest is fine. I have got this temporarily sealed at the moment but I have been considering a more permanent repair. Can anyone see any problems with the following? Using a jig clamped to the worktop, I would rout a channel about 12mm wide by 5-10mm deep along the affected area, removing all the swollen laminate and chipboard. I would then shape a plug from a piece of spare worktop to accurately fit into this cutout. The cutout and plug would then be liberally spread with colour matched worktop sealant and the plug pushed in until flush. The excess sealant would then be removed. Would this work?

Sponsored Links
the dammage is likely to extend around a half to an inch in each direction from the visible dammage

i would look at extending the width and depth to around 20mm more than the visible dammage

worth a try but will always be visible to some extent

and be aware of any worktop clamps if your router to any depth

Point taken. I'll do a test piece first to check feasibility. I know it will show to some extent but should look better than at present and it will hopefully sort out the moisture ingress problem although I realise this is not guaranteed. If it works ok I'll post some info and pictures in this forum.

good luck :D

the problems i can see are

if the patch is too tight you wont have enough to g/tee the sealent can fill the gap
to big it will be to obviouse

due to shrinkage it may be advisable to start 0.25mm or so proud

would also drill some holes in the cut out to underneath to allow excess to escape without having to use excesive pressure

Sponsored Links
You picked up my original post. I can't really separate the join, not without some major work anyway. The point about a relief hole underneath is a good one. This will also allow me to push the plug out while testing the fit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back