Worried about damp quotes...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A quick question:

Overview
We're getting our utility room re-done, and we have damp on three walls (2 internal 1 external). We had 2 quotes, both of which were for around £1000.

What happened
My wife arranged all of this because she is at home during the day. However, a few weeks ago I noticed our washing machine was leaking from the mains water pipe. Since then I've measured about half a mug was leaking per day.

I'm worried that neither damp company seemed to consider the possiblity that a damp wall next to a washing machine could be caused by a leak.

What next?
We're due to have the damp work done next week and I have a niggling doubt that we may be paying out for nothing.
So my question is: could a leaking washing machine cause symptoms similar to damp (peeling paint, blown plaster)?
I guess I need a third quote now I've stopped the leak... Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
A minor leak could cause the damp you speak of. TBQH, my younger brother (a plasterer by trade) worked for a damp proofing company last year and he told me they are nothing but rip off merchants. The company he worked for would quite happily charge customers , thousands of pounds for a job which didn't need doing in the first place. He was expected to pick up cheques off customers once he had finished the job (once picking up a cheque for over £3000, for a job which didn't even take 5 hrs to complete. My brother was paid (£200 for his labour and about £30 for fuel expenses). Materials would have cost less than £150, therefore the company were picking up in excess of £2500.
If any jobs entailed customer call backs, he was told to go have a look and fob them off with any excuse and if he did have to do anything, then do the minimum he felt he could get away with. His boss was arrogant , treated customers with respect, whilst on the phone to them, then would call them all the names under the sun as soon as the call had ended.
The boss still wonders why no employee stays with them for long.
I can't obviously mention the name of the company, but the last name is Damp, the first name is a name for a rather large church type building (in a city though) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Why don't you call the surveyor back to check it out and if the damp from the washing machine leak is not included in the survey you are getting done. Not unusual from a damp treatment firm. Put into dispute to delay the so called repairs. Get Trading Standards informed because they have records of naughty firms.

Sponsored Links
A minor leak could cause the damp you speak of. TBQH, my younger brother (a plasterer by trade) worked for a damp proofing company last year and he told me they are nothing but rip off merchants. ;)
Strange coincidence :eek: my sons a plasterer and used to do the same job - WE are IN Sussex ;) ;) and will relieve you of a £ot less than £1k IF you want that Third Quote - send me a personal message . It`s your decision

Well guessed Cumbrian. ;) ;)
A bigger bunch of cowboys you'd be hard pushed to meet. ;) ;)

Phone them up and cancel the job and send them an email to confirm the cancellation. Did you pay a deposit? if so you might find it hard to get that back. If they get 'shirty' and turn up next week to do the work, what ever you do, DON'T LET THEM IN. PM Nige and get his son round.

As regards to the leaking washing machine, a small leak can cause a big damp patch.

If you change the washer, apply a little washing up liquid to the washer as this gives you and extra 1/4 of a turn to tighten.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back