Wot this?

Sponsored Links
It is indeed a Camellia John, to be honest I don't don't think it would transfer that well being that size you would have to take a fair old lump of roots with it and it would need constant watering until established again.They aren't supposed to like limey soil so that could be another disadvantage,but the area you are relocating to did any one else have one flowering back in Feb/March.You could always try taking cutting's from the plant.Now is a good time as any to do that.

yes it is a Camellia but its to big to move and the wrong time of the year

I moved one of those from front to back garden that was only slightly smaller. I moved it at the "wrong" time of year (around 12 months ago). I did prune it pretty heavily as you can't help but lose roots in the process. It looked lovely this year with all the flowers on.

Worst case scenario it dies and you have to get a new one.

As per suggestions above, take some cuttings before you move it, give it a good prune, and a really good water once you've relocated it.

Sponsored Links
how do I do the cuttings? can I take green shoots, pull off the leaves and poke them in the ground?

That one does seem very colourful.

I would prune it very heavily before moving, so it will fit in a sack and go in the car.

To be fair what have you got to lose? If you leave it you haven't got it and if you move it and it dies you've got nothing , but nothing ventured nothing gained.
When I moved house I had several fruit trees and some shrubs the new owner was just going to rip out. Advice was that it would be a waste of time trying to move them but I did all the same , pruning and watering and they survived.
The new owner even let me go back and remove the arbour although I didn't have to prune or water that one :LOL:

I am often removing large shrubs when doing landscaping work and have treated many badly and roughly and really 90 per cent survive fine, they need a bit of nursing but even a shrubs that size will do ok, give it a good haircut now its stopped flowering and reduce overall leaf quantity and go ahead.

The theory says wait til winter but as enyam says camelias, azealea's etc need most care around august so moving now is not a terrible idea

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back