Would a soakaway help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all

My daughter has just bought an early 20th century ( 1906-ish) semi detached house. The back yard/ garden is about 6 metres square and surfaced with brick pavers, and there's a fairly significant downward slope towards the house. The rear elevation of the house and garden walls are fully rendered, and the surface of the render has flaking paint, areas which are clearly loose and blown, and damp staining. The paving surface is literally just a couple of inches below the render in places, with potential for bridging the dampcourse.

I reckon the render predates the paving and that therefore, the paving has been fitted with no regard for bridging. My daughter had a full structural survey, and although some questions were raised by the surveyor concerning ground levels, an additional damp survey seemed to indicate that there was no rising damp. However, I think there IS rising damp behind kitchen units which are installed on the inside of the "affected" wall, because the cupboards smell damp. Could be condensation, of course.

Our long term plan is to remove the render and, if the surface of the brickwork underneath survives intact, treat it with dampseal and leave it bare. But that still leaves the problem of the paving surface being too high. I'm wondering whether creating a soakaway next to the wall would solve any issues with the dampcourse. Obviously we can remove the pavers alongside the wall without too much trouble, but how far back from the wall should a soakaway go? And how deep?

Sadly I can't provide any photos atm, but hopefully I've described the situation pretty clearly.

TIA

Sponsored Links
Morning all

My daughter has just bought an early 20th century ( 1906-ish) semi detached house. The back yard/ garden is about 6 metres square and surfaced with brick pavers, and there's a fairly significant downward slope towards the house. The rear elevation of the house and garden walls are fully rendered, and the surface of the render has flaking paint, areas which are clearly loose and blown, and damp staining. The paving surface is literally just a couple of inches below the render in places, with potential for bridging the dampcourse.

I reckon the render predates the paving and that therefore, the paving has been fitted with no regard for bridging. My daughter had a full structural survey, and although some questions were raised by the surveyor concerning ground levels, an additional damp survey seemed to indicate that there was no rising damp. However, I think there IS rising damp behind kitchen units which are installed on the inside of the "affected" wall, because the cupboards smell damp. Could be condensation, of course.

Our long term plan is to remove the render and, if the surface of the brickwork underneath survives intact, treat it with dampseal and leave it bare. But that still leaves the problem of the paving surface being too high. I'm wondering whether creating a soakaway next to the wall would solve any issues with the dampcourse. Obviously we can remove the pavers alongside the wall without too much trouble, but how far back from the wall should a soakaway go? And how deep?

Sadly I can't provide any photos atm, but hopefully I've described the situation pretty clearly.

TIA
Wouldn't a perimeter Aco drain be more effective? On that is linked to the existing storm drain?

Wouldn't a perimeter Aco drain be more effective? On that is linked to the existing storm drain?
Thanks for your reply. I suppose a linear drain alongside the wall is an option, though I'm not sure how we'd dispose of that water if we're unable to link it to the kitchen gully. Another problem is that the route for a linear drain is obstructed by the back door and its step. A more pressing issue is the discovery that the drains appear to be partially blocked, something which wasn't obvious till I had clear sight of the gully after shifting a bunch of large flower pots and plants, some of which had rooted through the bottom of the pots and possibly into the ground above the drains. Sadly my daughter doesn't yet have a a working outside tap so I was unable to attempt mains pressure jetting of the drains, though I did manage to clear several lumps of stinking muck from the kitchen gully. Next time I'm round there I may ask a neighbour if we can connect to their outside tap so I can try to clear the blockage, but if that doesn't work then she'll have to call out a drainage engineer.

Sponsored Links
Are the drains shared - i.e. a sewer?
Only beyond the point where her drains, and those of her neighbour enter a shared inspection chamber outside the back gate, in the passageway between the two houses. Pretty sure she's still responsible for the drains within the boundaries of her property, though I hope I'm wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back