would this lintel be suitable.

Sponsored Links
The link to B&Q website, the description of the lintel is a puzzle.
2.1m high by 100mm width. :confused:
So what is the length? and quite a high section. ;)
I wouldn't go to B&Q for a concrete lintel, either sources a manufacturers or go to a builders merchants, it will be cheaper.
What I would suggest is that the lintels bearings at either side are about 150mm, so that would add 300mm to the opening sizes.
So if your open size is 1790mm a 2100mm would be fine.
The section of this lintel would need to be calculated, as it will depend what the load is that the lintel would be carrying from above.
You will also have to consider and inner leaf and outer leaf lintel.

thanks for the reply,

I have been informed by the neighbour that there is a lintel on the inner wall. and there are no signs of cracking in the plaster inside so i am assuming that will be the case. And the fact that the UPC window has survived nearly 20 years without being squashed.

What is above is a bit of wall and the upstairs window.

I have been informed on here and by others that when the house was build the original steel window frame may of been the lintel and that it was common practice for this method at the time. Other properties in my street have used a concrete lintel in this method when installing a french door.

B&Q where the only website I could find a lintel longer than 1800 listed on hence the link.

Thanks again Rob :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
If you are happy that the lintel will support the upstairs, floor, brickwork and likely the roof. Well that's your choice. I suppose if there is no lintel there at the moment, you are improving the situation.
Most builders merchants will be able to supply concrete lintels.
If your local to West Yorkshire, I know a few manufacturers that will make them bespoke for you and also a few suppliers.
If not I maybe able to point you in the right direction, if you a struggling to get one as you require.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back