Would this work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a downstairs bathroom that is in need of refurb and whilst it is a way off yet, have started to think about how we would like it to work functionally.

It would be good to have a towel rail, and it would be sufficient for this to come on when the water comes on, just to warm towels etc.

As the diagram shows our boiler is in a room next to the bathroom and is only a short hop to where we would like the towel rail.

System is a Y plan, ideal mexico 2 boiler (36kw) and the DHW cylinders and F&E are all in a seperate room on the 1st floor.

What i'm thinking is to use a 2 way valve which opens when the DHW demand is on (or perhaps install a 3 way controller later) to get a flow through the towel rail.

An alternative approach would be to either install another run off the DHW circuit (lots of plumbing and disruption) so in that case I would probably go whole hog and convert the system to use 2 way controllers and zone up the heating circuit a bit (s plan?).

Just thinking aloud at this stage, wondering if the proposed circuit is viable (green).

BTW there is a rad in the bathroom already, so this really is just a towel warmer and not a heating solution. Rad is around 5000 BTU iirc and gets room nice and toasty in winter.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If it really is a Y Plan, just branch off for the HTR before the mid-position valve. The HTR will be heated whenever the boiler and pump operate. Also makes an excellent bypass if you have TRVs everywhere else - don't put one on the HTR.

Sponsored Links
No, the drawing wouldn't work.

A pic showing the pump and MV would help.

What's that pipe before the pump and where does it go. ?

Is it a sealed system and where's the expansion vessel if it is. ?

Alternatively where's the cold feed and vent.

What's that pipe before the pump and where does it go. ?

Is it a sealed system and where's the expansion vessel if it is. ?

Alternatively where's the cold feed and vent.

Its an open system.

Pipe before the pump goes to the F&E.

Tee off between the pump and the MV.

OK thanks - that makes sense really. Can the return be patched into the return near the boiler, so i'd only need to run one pipe down to the bathroom? Would assume so.

Probs not doing this myself btw, though may do - i need to replace that MV as its passing by, could add a T at the same time.

Thanks all.

Put a couple of lockshield valves on the pipes so you can control the circuit, and you should be fine.

Tee off between the pump and the MV.

OK thanks - that makes sense really. Can the return be patched into the return near the boiler, so i'd only need to run one pipe down to the bathroom? Would assume so.

Probs not doing this myself btw, though may do - i need to replace that MV as its passing by, could add a T at the same time.

Thanks all.

Yes pal no problem T the return in back at the boiler. But if you teed the flow in there in effect it's not pumped! Negative pressure best Teeing flow in after the pump

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back