Would you be happy with this door?

For £3000 Id want it right, when I had my widows fitted there was minimal packing used so can't see why it shouldn't be the same for your door.

Poor measuring..

Sponsored Links
Update 2:

I've spoken to them again and said I'm not happy so they are remaking the sides as well - result (apart from living in what looks like a squat for the next few weeks).

Is this a regular occurrence for companies to measure up wrong? It's a shame that local companies have to write off so much money due to one persons incompetence.

There is a lot of miss measuring going on particularly in
the pvc. windows and doors industry, and there are a lot of bodged attempts to hide these errors.

Part of being a good fitter is how you get around fitting problems on site, how you finish off and make things look the way they should but sometimes no amount of triming up can hide the fact something was wrong and in those cases you have to hold your hands up and say i got it wrong.

Sponsored Links
On a job that size, would a fitter normally write it off as an error, or claim on their insurance?

Not being either of these I don't know but I'd guess a sole trader would dash to find his survey sheet in the hope the manufacturers have screwed up and not him, if it's his fault then he'd have to suck it up and recoup some money by putting them on eBay.

A company may be able to absorb the cost and put the frames in the mismeasure rack, if there's no room in the rack they'll need to pull the surveyor in for a chat. Every company will have a mismeasure rack, often rummaged through by non trade customers having a new extension built

Too many mismeasures could bring a small back street fabricator down, I've seen it

On a job that size, would a fitter normally write it off as an error, or claim on their insurance?
The cost to them is so little that by the time they've reorded and the put the old door on eBay they'll be in profit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back