WTH a massive crack up the front of the house!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The title says it all really.

My neighbour kindly pointed out today a massive crack starting below the door, coming out the top pf the door, continuing up past the top window going slightly angled.

(The bottom of the house you can see it following the bricks but the top of the house is pebble dashed so i cannot tell.)

Errr... i think perhaps i should be a little worried about this?

I'm expecting it to be something major - if you can put my mind at rest with any other theories please let me know it'll help me sleep a bit better tonight.

Sponsored Links
Stick a piccy up, if you can. Generally, diagonal cracks point to something awry at a lower level.

Sponsored Links
Sure shytalkz,
here you go!

View media item 1540
closeup of path (start)
View media item 1518
Closeup of where it comes out above the door
View media item 1517
it continues further...
View media item 1521
to the window!
View media item 1520

:eek:

The doors and windows were put in last year - and he told me the door was "a lot of trouble to get in" do you think this could have caused the damage?

also large trucks rumble by on a road not 7 metres from the house.

finally there was a down pipe that came out straight onto the concrete, just around the corner from the crack. This has not been an issue for some time now - but could that of been the cause?

(yes i know i know the damp issue too from the previous topic! - the small damp patches are very far from where the pipe used to be and the pipe is now sorted.)

thanks for your help.

Are their any cracks inside the building if so how wide.Chip away some render to expose brickwork . Glue a peice of glass between the crack and leave .If you have a problem the glass will break ,normally meaning subsidence.I have an old house with various cracks etc have not developed any worse in the 10 years since i bought

i'd put money on the window man putting the door in and disturbing the brickwork (probably not putting a lintel in).

the crack in the path would need to have been there for a long time for this to be the case. along with no internal cracks.

i'd put money on the window man putting the door in and disturbing the brickwork (probably not putting a lintel in).

the crack in the path would need to have been there for a long time for this to be the case. along with no internal cracks.

I would agree with this - I bought an old house last year and had a crack at an angle to the 1st floor window at the rear - My father in law is a structural engineer and agreed with me that the crack was as a result of the windows being put in some years ago and the mortar being lime based so quite soft

If you are really concerned get a structural engineer in - cost you about £180

HTH

hi, mia culpa. :LOL:
It looks like a bit of movement, the cause is anyones guess but doesn't really help apportioning blame at this late stage, (unless you can get yer shekels back)
Put a tell-tale on if you are really worried, but otherwise just watch it for a couple of years, (not continuously obviously) and if it gets worse by twice as much then you will have to get something done.

finally there was a down pipe that came out straight onto the concrete, just around the corner from the crack. This has not been an issue for some time now - but could that of been the cause?

If the water has been seeping down between the path and the house wall it could well have undermined the foundations and they've sunk a bit. That's my best guess.

My house, built in 1880 has similar cracks at weak points and about 1" of bulge in the gable end, it has not got any worse in the 6 years since I bought it and I don't anticpate it will.
Movement is an ongoing possibility in all houses and any cracks should be monitored for movement over a period of time.
If it gets worse over a short period, (months) then some investigation would need to be undertaken, but in most cases a little repointing will suffice.
Bear in mind that 40% of all houses show some movement or expansion cracking, it doesn't mean the place is going to fall down any time soon.
The worst case senario is underpinnig remedials, but that should, if it became necessary , be covered by your house insurance.
If it doesn't get any worse over the next year, (most likely) then look at your windows agreement and see if you have the possibilty of making a claim againt them.

Quite often in properties of this layout, there is/was a rainwater downpipe located just around the side corner, connecting to clay pipes (edited to add: just re-read your post and seen that you mention a rwp discharging to ground - same comments apply re mechanics of movement). Said pipes begin to leak (poor jointing, pipe fractures through settlement for example) and water leeches founding soils; soil under outer side of foundation becomes softer than on the inside, foundation rotates slightly.

Walls were not tied back at floor level in them there days as they are now, so the foundation rotation results in slight outward bowing of the wall. The entrance door and first floor window are close to the return, so there is little in the way of restraint to the wall end. Articulation takes place around the openings, as these create a weak spot in the front wall, leading to cracking like this.

Installation of replacement doors and windows can result in reopening of previous repairs, if they weren't done very well.

As long as the rwp is now connected to buried pipework to take the water away from the building, this may be old movement.

I suggest keeping a weather eye on it, before doing repairs, if the connection of the rwp to a drain has only recently been carried out. Don't use a glass shard as a monitor, that "technique" went out in the English Civil War, for a variety of reasons, not least of which is that, by the time it breaks, it will be readily apparent that further movement has taken place ie completely pointless.

There are proprietary gauges available, either plastic gridded tell-tales, or studs and vernier gauge monitoring. However, you'd have to buy the whole kit for the latter, which is about £300, unless you know a friendly SE who'd purloin some from the office and take periodical readings for you.

Best way, as this is minor movement in the scheme of things, is to take photos every three months and compare with the previous. Tbh, now that the obvious cause (ie the rwp) has been remedied, I doubt that you will have any further significant levels of movement.

The worst that could happen is that you would need to install a single underpin block to the corner, just to transfer the foundation loading through the affected soil. This is unlikely to be required. The worst case scenario of underpinning and repairs to the superstructure could be claimed on your insurance, but don't forget that there is a policy excess, usually £1k and your property then goes onto their database as having a subs claim.

If it did need a spot of local underpin, personally I would quietly do it and wouldn't even bother with the local authority for BRegs: no names and no packdrill and all that :).

You won't get anything from the installers of your doors and windows, it's nothing to do with their installation - at worst, it's merely exacerbated the levels of cracking, but is not the cause.

When it comes to doing crack repairs, this will involve hacking back the render and, I would suggest, installing Helibar across the crack. Then re-render, although you will find it nigh on impossible to match in, so it will be apparent that there has been a repair. An alternative would be to resin repair, so that the crack remains, but is only visible close up and certainly at a far lesser distance than a render repair.

All in all, don't panic, it's not a huge problem.

Once again, thanks for all the comprehensive advice! It has given me confidence, and i'm really please to now have this background knowledge, and will be putting it to use.

As you might have guessed by now, the house i live in is a real nightmare and it is a real learning curve as well on all the various issues. (it was cheap!!!)

I am really pleased to have found this forum and you friendly peoples who are kind enough to give your advice.

:D

and JerryM, send me a message - your 2p is appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back