Wylex NB Type 2 MCB'S.......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Could anybody please tell me the differences between Wylex NB type 1 and type 2 MCB'S, I have just bid and won a type 1 on Ebay and have only just now realised what I really needed was a type 2.

Sponsored Links
Tripping curve, 1 is faster than 2

If your circuit meets the requirements for a type 2, then it'll meet the requirements of a type 1 (as Z's is permitted to be higher, etc), however if the load is inductive then there is a higher likely hood of nuisense tripping then with type 2

Type 1, 2 & 3 (was there a 4?) were predecessors of Type's A, B, C, & D

Type 1 will trip faster that type 3

What is your application for the MCB?

Hi, thanks for yor speedy response's....I have bought a 40 amp Mcb to use for an electric shower........have had the consumer unit I intend to use for the shower a few years now but it is only fitted with up to 30 amp type 2 fuses.....the shower will 9.5 kw and the run of 6mm cable will be approx 10 foot from the consumer unit

Sponsored Links
No problem with a type 1 on a shower, of course make your your Z's in spec (this will be easier on type 1 than type 2), thought can't imagine there being a poblem with the length you have in mind unless your Ze is out of spec

I would however question your use of a 40A on 6mm² its borderline for that size of cable and it depends on how the cable is routed

and you have notifyed your local building control office of this work haven't you?...

Pensdown said:
Yes there was a type 4
You will find a type 1 requires a maximum of 1.5 and type 2, 0.86 Ohms of Earth Loop Impedance.

Hi, thanks again for speedy responses, the use of the 40 amp is purely so that I can use the consumer unit I already have because as far as I am aware Wylex do not make a 45 or 50 amp for this consumer unit

What Adams is saying is that the 40amp breaker is there to protect the cable's current carrying capacity, not your shower and it's a bit tight. he's not saying you can't up-rate the cable to 10mm and use the 40amp breaker

Thanks for the clarification, I should have explained that apart from having an unused consumer unit I also had leftover 6mm cable and 45amp pull switch

Pensdown said:
What Adams is saying is that the 40amp breaker is there to protect the cable's current carrying capacity, not your shower and it's a bit tight. he's not saying you can't up-rate the cable to 10mm and use the 40amp breaker

Surely the MCB Breaker in this case, is there to protect both the cable and the shower unit - as unlike an immersion heater circuit, there is no fuse-connection unit with a cartridge fuse downstream, adjacent the appliance itself.

It may protect the shower but thats not it's primary purpose. All designs are calculated to protect the system infrastructure not whats connected to it

Pensdown said:

Type 1 will trip faster that type 3

What is your application for the MCB?

Are the Chinese the makers of type A?

Jaymack

kai said:
Surely the MCB Breaker in this case, is there to protect both the cable and the shower unit - as unlike an immersion heater circuit, there is no fuse-connection unit with a cartridge fuse downstream, adjacent the appliance itself.

to be honest overcurrent protection is pretty useless for protecting heating aparatus anyway. even 100W is easilly enough to start a fire if its concentrated on a small area of suitablly combustible material and heating equipment usually has powers in the kilowatts.

the real protection for the shower itself mostly comes from a thermal cutout.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back