Wylex New Style Metal Consumer Units.

Yes if they used the insulated double ferrules it would cover all that exposed copper, but I suppose it would get in the way if a busbar was needed there.
Are the device terminals designed to take a busbar prong/fork and a fine stranded cable?

Sponsored Links
I would hope so as that DB has 3 neutral bars. With the fine strands welded/crimped together of course. I see the newer crabtree and siemens MCBs at least, now have terminals that have 2 seperate compartments so differing size and shape conductors are properly clamped.

Nope - can't see anywhere here where there is a terminal which would need to accommodate both a cable and a busbar.

full

Sponsored Links
Ah - OK - yes. If you were to want some non-RCD circuits you would need a busbar and two cables in the main switch outgoing L.

But that does not mean that Wylex had the nous to make that possible.

I went to the wholesalers the other day to order a couple of 2 pole RCBOs and was told that no such device existed! o_O

I have only once seen a 2 pole busbar and it was in an old db fed from a 1 phase 3 wire supply.

I know they exist - what I meant, and should have written, is why are they so seldom used.

This unit only has two neutral connector bars, & was never intended to have any high integrity ways in it.
The RCD slides freely along the din-rail to allow a flexible configuration of ways between RCD's.

normally unused ways are blanked with plastic insets; do they now have to be metal blanks?

normally unused ways are blanked with plastic insets; do they now have to be metal blanks?
BS7671 says nothing about the blanks. They can be made of anything you want.
As the MCBs etc. are plastic, it makes no difference anyway.

Manufacturers of consumer units have different things to say. Such as having a top hinged metal cover over the devices, metal hinges, intumescent strips inside, LSF paint and other nonsense.

A cynical person would think that the entire thing had been designed purely so that manufacturers of consumer units could launch entire new ranges of products, compelling everyone to spend far more on the new expensive types, while at the same time making the older plastic ones obsolete and worthless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back