Wylex or Volex Consumer unit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I am shortly having my CU replaced from HRC type to split load type. Question is - can these cheaper units be configured so that the 100amp incoming switch can be moved to the opposite end of the unit. Also I need a shower cable fitting for when we have new bathroom fitted in a few months. If the new 10mm cable is chased into plasterboard wall in corner (within 150mm ) up wall into loft - is it sufficient to have no conduit fitted. I am wary about a high load cable plastered into wall.

Sponsored Links
The main switch is at whatever end of the CU it is at. You cannot change it around. End of.
Your electrician wil be able to advise you and will recommend and supply the correct type for your application. Some makes have main switch at one end, some are at the other.

High load cables are plastered into walls all the time. The cable must be run in safe zones, unless they are in EARTHED STEEL CONDUIT.
Plastic and aluminium capping does not count!

Wylex and Volex consumer units are identical apart from the name badge on the front anyway.

Wylex and Volex consumer units are identical apart from the name badge on the front anyway.

exept that the main switch is at different ends.

Also on the dual split loads the config is different, on the volex the RCDs are on the other edges with the MCBs on each side meeting in the middle, on Wylex it is right to left

Sponsored Links
They probably do that on purpose to make them look different so you won't realise they're the same.

They probably do that on purpose to make them look different so you won't realise they're the same.

They probably realised that it was an issue, why buy Wylex when you can get a Sector or Volex cheaper, hence the change in design of the Wylex MCBs and RCBOs. They now look different.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back