Xmas DIY Gadgets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondered as we near xmas, family asking what i want (birthday as well)

Anyone had a really useful gadget bought for them , that they find very useful.

I had a few useful items
These Awls, and they have been super useful
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07Q5ZTVD9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This Jig template - I use as a square to make around the edge
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00OZMIQK0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
These Googles, don't mist up , used for DIY as well as Garden strimming
https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-concealer-premium-safety-goggles/69051
This Dewalt RightAngle attachement, although now I have been given a dewalt cordless rightangle drill
https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-e...EqeYG5MgsBB0kKXG25oaArj3EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

One i have not really got on with, gadget for tape measure into corners. I thought i would use this a lot, and i have tried but maybe its the size of the tape measures i have used but did not work out for a few measurements
https://mateymeasure.com/

I have been looking at some of the pencils, previous post, scribing tools , "T" precision marking tools etc

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Place the case of the tape into the corner, and add the size of the case to the obtained measurement.
Yep, thats what i have always done , and then i was given this as a gift. And as i say, did not get on with it.
Stanley Fatmax Tape & Milwaukee Tapes (both imperial & metric rulers) all have the size printed on side (Stanley in imperial & Milwaukee in Metric.)
Cant find but my older tapes did have both metric/imperial size printed on them, i think long thrown away.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks, added to my stocking list, I often actually tend to use 2 sticks to check 2 lengths, so this maybe useful as i can get a measure value of the difference.
For < £7 worth adding to the DIY amazon list.
In fact I have a cheap folding rule, now i'm thinking a nicer quality one.
beats , getting pants & Socks

I use this square a lot, probably more then any other Aluminum Alloy Saddle Layout Square Gauge with 2 Pencils,Multifunctional 45/90 Degree Angle T Ruler 3D Mitre Angle Woodworking Measuring Tools : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

upload_2021-11-8_21-36-38.png

Also any 6" and 12" rafter square is dead useful for marking out on things other than rafters

Winbags, don't forget Winbags

Thanks been looking at those layout squares, when i was looking at the wolfcraft gear from @"woody"

I have a 7" & 12" rafter Square which i again use a lot , and never done any rafters, great for cutting against.

Had to lookup winbags , they would have been useful when i restyled and refitted 7 doors in the hallway a few weeks ago !!!!
I had spaces underneath, and a bit of pain to get right and out again.

Thanks

...add the size of the case to the obtained measurement.
Case size is printed on the case. Has been for ever.
I just fid that slow and error prone (or maybe I'm just bad at 'rithmetic), especially if the tape body is something daft like 67mm :confused:

I think tt's far easier to get yourself a tape which measures corner to corner like the Hultafors Talmeter and which can do internal measurements without arithmetic, transfer and mark directly, cut plasterboard accurately (although the points won't last forever), trace arcs, measure pipe diameters accurately (2m/3m tapes only - great for boxing-in) and other stuff:

Whilst I use a metric only Stanley FatMax 8m tape for the much of the heavy stuff (because I can read a metric measurement off ether edge which I find really handy - that and it's probably the toughest tape on the planet with the longest standout of any 8m tape) the 6m Talmeter makes installing window boards, etc easier and less error prone, whilst the little 2m Talmeter is handy for boxing in waste pipes, etc where the pipework has to come through the boxing, for cutting round circular columns in flooring (remember, I just finished refurbing a mill), etc. And Hultafors can supply a repair kit for your extendible prong if you cream cracker it.
Talmeter Repair Kit .jpg
Talmeter Dual Measurements.jpg
Above: Front of a Talmeter tape. You use the red figures if the prong is extended (internal measurements), otherwise use the black
Below: Back of a 2 or 3m Talmeter tape showing the diameter measurement for pipes, etc
Talmeter Diameter Measurement.jpg

Best thing is that a 3m Talmeter is about the same price as that goofy clip-on Matyey Measure, but does a whole lot more

Being me, of course I have to have a 4th tape, a Bahco MTS825E 8 meter stainless steel, magnetic tip tape:

Bahco MTS825E Tape.jpg

These tapes have magnetic tips, which is handy for measuring off steels and metal studwork, plus they are Imperial/metric (so good for *real" 16in centres) and are marked both front and rear. If the 8m is a bit big there is also a smaller 5m version

Another good, simple, reliable Santa tool (and under £20) is the Hultafors AL (or"Snail") chalk line:

Hultafors AL Chalk Line.jpg

Very simple, no gears and a cast aluminium casing - so whilst they aren't the faster things to use (geared drives are far faster but tend to jam up when used out in the wet), they will work in the damp with a lot less problems, they are highly durable and will take being dropped, thrown around in the back of a van or bottom of a tool box and the line is far better quality than the Stanley chalk lines I used to use. I think the absolute best chalk lines are the aluminium Tajima ones, but they are hard to find in the UK and stupidly expensive when you can find one

If you are looking for a 7in Speed Square (dead handy as a saw guide) again look at Hultafors "Rafter Square" or a Johnson - both are metric which has major advantages

Hultafors Rafter Square.jpg

That ability to mark insets from the edge in 5mm increments from 20mm up to 125mm is very useful

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideally you need two or three, one or two to lift the door, another to push the doot across in the casing so you can scribe to the jamb if it isn't straight.

A tool for people who don't know how to use a tape measure for internal measurements.

Bending it into the corner is wrong.
Place the case of the tape into the corner, and add the size of the case to the obtained measurement.
Case size is printed on the case. Has been for ever.

When measuring internals I don't have much faith in looking down on to the reading on the tape from above because of parallax.

I have these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CFXZH3U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I find them accurate to about 0.5mm

I suspect that they are made by BMI, they were once branded as Festool but the Connex version is cheaper than the BMI branded version, and naturally cheaper than the Festool version ever was.

Only good up to about 2.7m. The tape says 3m but if you go as far as 3m it ruins the tape.

I carry two tapes in my rucksack. This one and a regular 8m tape. I carry a lot in my rucksack...

Last edited:
Oh, whilst not terribly se.xy, I have only recently come to appreciate air pump wedges.

eg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trend-WEDGE-2PK-Wedge-Pack/dp/B08XZPQ76C/

I last used them to rehang a door. Previously I would use wedges and chisels to raise the door. I would have one foot on the chisel whilst working. Now I use my foot to inflate the bag. Once the screws are drilled in to the door liner, I simply deflate the bag. Previously, I would try to swing the door to release my wedges.

I was on site one day and saw the window fitters use them to secure a window whilst drilling in to the frame. I wish I had known about the class of product before.

########edit, just notice the mention of windbags. I called them air bags######

Oh, whilst not terribly se.xy, I have only recently come to appreciate air pump wedges.
Bet you didn't know that LiDL has done them in the past. The make shooting in a new door to and old opening far easier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back