Yale 6400 alarm control unit location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'm new here but have read various posts regarding the yale 6400 alarm which I have just bought and will be installing hopefully this week, I just have a few questions to ask that will confirm my ideas for this installation.
If there are any other pointer to look out for, do’s and don’ts I would appreciate it.

I have a number of concerns with regards to door sensors/PIR locations which I will probably cover in up and coming posts but one of my initially concerns is the positioning of the control panel and the connections to it. I am very much under the impression that in life if a clever burglar really wants to get in somewhere they will but for the general petty criminal which are far more common I do believe these alarms could alert to these crimes or even put them off in the first place.

If a burglar is going to cut the phone line to your property to stop the telephone communication then he will and therefore any form of hiding the connection to the control panel or the incoming socket will not prevent this, now I believe that loss of phone line will not trigger an alarm am I right? I have read that it is a good idea to mount the main panel in a remote location (back of a cupboard or out of sight) other than immediately through the door and to use a wireless control pad for arm/disarm mounted on entrance for ease, which is all well and good. However I don’t completely understand this theory unless a few points are confirmed,
• Situation 1 - If a burglar has accessed the control panel without triggering a sensor (I understand that this shouldn’t be the case) but if he does and manages to cut the power and or phone line would this trigger an alarm, as mains power is lost?
• Situation 2 - If a burglar has triggered an alarm and is currently in the period of time (20 seconds) countdown to alarm sounding, if he was to cut the phone line and or power would the unit still alarm?
• Situation 3 - Now this is the only time that I could see remote mount of the control panel a benefit, as situation 2’s but the burglar just smashes the control unit? will the unit alarm? Is the answer yes due to the tamper sensor?

I’m trying to consider the various possibilities for my control unit mounting location as ideally I need arm/disarm ability just through the door at an easy location as otherwise the girlfriend probably wouldn’t use it. Also if I can get away without buying additional accessories, i.e. wireless pad, keyfob’s, etc I will. I just wanted to understand if there is a point to hiding the unit or not by the answers to my points above, as I’m sure my house like many others there is easy access to the fuse box and the incoming phone line junction as they are right by the front door so is there a point to hiding the controller?

Many thanks in advance
jon

Sponsored Links
I fitted on of these on the weekend..........2hrs to install!

Highly recommend using the remote keypad which I believe is the HSA6080......You can get from homebase/ screwfix

You could use keyfob but I'd say the pad is a better choice as its fixed to wall....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi.
Many thanks for the reply. I do think I will buy one of them key pads. So have you remote mounted the main controller. Do you know any of the answers to the situations above?

Sponsored Links
your post is very long.

If the intruder doesn't get to the control panel before it finishes the countdown, it will start the siren. Once the siren starts, it will continue even if the control panel is smashed. Attacking the panel might make the alarm sound as a tamper, or it might kill the panel, depending what damage happens first.

if the intruder doesn't get to the panel after it has started the alarm, and made its first phone out, the message will be sent. However if he cuts the phone line, no further messages will be made. Hence I strongly recommend putting the control panel out of sight and well away from probable points of entry. Inside a bedroom wardrobe is good. The extra keypad can be out of sight near your main entry door.

Cutting the power supply cable will not prevent the panel and alarm from working, because the internal standby battery will keep it going for about 6 to 8 hours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back