Yale 6400 PIR Battery Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope somebody can help me with this. I installed a Yale HSA6400 premium wireless alarm system approx 5 months ago - it only consits of a control panel, 2 x pet friendly PIR's, a key pad and a couple of fobs. The system works fine and does everything it's supposed to but the batteries in one of the PIR's has needed changing every month since i installed it. I've looked everywhere on the net, looked on the Yale website - nothing - I even moved the offending PIR from one corner of the room to another just in case but it didn't help. The PIR itself detects movement and has passed all of the other tests i've thrown at it. I'm guessing i've set the system up incorrectly somehow but if I have I can't find the problem. Can anybody help?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What makes you say the batteries need changing every month?
Is the panel reporting low battery in that sensor on the control panel?

The control panel reports the battery status of the sensors.

Got it in one - the control panel brings up the warning led and I get the 'Low battery in PIR....' Msg - the PIR then also goes red whenever it detects movement.

Did you buy a pack of batteries from the pound shop?

You could try swaping that PIR with another, see if the problem follows itself around. Could be a duff PIR.

Sponsored Links
It could also be that the sensor is struggling to send a strong signal to the panel for some reason such as inteference or a particularly dense or thick wall?

Batteries in my experience usually last a safe minimum of 18 months in a sensor.

I trust you are not using Duracells as they don't work particularly well in the sensors due to the electrode post design.

It could also be that the sensor is struggling to send a strong signal to the panel for some reason such as inteference or a particularly dense or thick wall?

Swapping the detector over would 1, prove the detector and 2, quite rightly as you say point to a transmission issue.

thanks for the advice guys, in the end i sent both PIRS back to the supplier who gave me new ones which have been working no problem for the past 6 odd weeks so fingers crossed! He sent the old two back to Yale for further investigation - could be a simple hardware fault im guessing. Thanks again.

Glad it's sorted sorry our replies didn't help but I appreciate you returning to let us know what the problem was. That gives us all another avenue to crosscheck for future reference with a similar problem.

As YG3 says, thanks for getting back. Not many do.
Hope it all stays sorted for you.

I was thinking the jumper might have been left in the test position - that causes the red light to come on a lot and it never sleeps. I have known this happen with the older 3000 type PIRs but I have not got a 6000 type with me to look inside.

I was thinking the jumper might have been left in the test position - that causes the red light to come on a lot and it never sleeps. I have known this happen with the older 3000 type PIRs but I have not got a 6000 type with me to look inside.

The 6000's work differently there are no jumpers instead the internal circuitry has a sleep timer. After sensing movement a few times the red led stops flashing to indicate detection. The sensor is still active and monitoring movement it just does not flash the led. After a minute of no detected movement the sensor will flash to detect movement again. This is to save battery life.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back