Yale HSA 3500 Early wake up calls !

A ten year old DIY wireless alarm is well past its sell by date to be honest, and it may be worth investing in a newer system. They have come a long way since the mid 2000's. The fact that it can't tell you what the actual problem is makes rectifying the issue all the more challenging. If you've got the patience, perhaps some of the ideas above may be worth trying out, but personally I'd be looking towards the bin.
It may come to that Scott, but I will do a trial and error on the PIR's as the culprits appear to be consistent.

Sponsored Links
you say the alarm said "off" but it sounded.

Do you mean the alarm panel was unset?

Did the control panel show an alarm status? What does the log say? Or did the wall siren go off without the control panel recording an activation?

If you have a bad sensor, it still has Tamper protection, so if, say, the lid was loose, or the spring not pressed tightly, you would have a tamper alarm even if the panel is not set. Taking the batteries out will prevent this sensor from triggering. You can also use "remove device" to prevent the control panel recognising its signal.

if the alarm is old (a 3500 is) then the battery terminals would benefit from being scrubbed with a nylon toothbrush and the merest hint of WD40. Duracell batteries are a non-standard shape and may not be the best choice.

The stories of RF interference with Yale alarms are commonly trotted out, but actual RF interference is not.

edit
I just checked my HSA3500 instructions.
They say:

"Tamper and low battery display

The control unit will identify the device
triggering a tamper alarm or low battery warning
when disarmed. The display can be cleared when
disarmed by entering PIN code, OK, and exiting
the Arm Home display by pressing
[picture of return button]"

John the log referred to specific devices so I suspect issues with tamper protection as the system was unset, although ironic as the alarms only started going off once we recommenced setting the alarm when we went out, and the most recent "incident" the same day that I replaced batteries in every PIR plus the front door contact.Interestingly though I did use Duracell batteries, so is this a common problem?

I don't know how common it is, but I've heard of it happening a few times.

I believe the end terminal is a non-standard shape. Polish up the terminals and see if that helps. You can change the siren length to 1 second IIRC to avoid annoying the neighbours.

Aldi and Lidl alkaline batteries are good value.

When I had a Yale alarm I got a bulk box from Maplin, it lasted a few years.

edit:

I have used a 3500, but the 6400 is better - the detectors are easier to test as button is accessible, and the control panel is easier to use and I think has more functions and a better log. I only remember seeing the "low battery on sensor X" messages when I upgraded to an HSA6400. You can use the existing sensors and siren if you change to a 6400, though the remote keypads have different rules. For a cheap and simple alarm, I think it's good value, especially the dial-out feature.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I don't know how common it is, but I've heard of it happening a few times.

I believe the end terminal is a non-standard shape.

Aldi and Lidl alkaline batteries are good value.

When I had a Yale alarm I got a bulk box from Maplin, it lasted a few years.

Thanks John, that's useful to know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back