yale premium 6400

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just about to try installing my new alarm, did a lot of research on systems and makes and yale came out best on wirefree, anyway can anyone tell me if the door contacts can be fitted horizontal or must they be vertical, I only ask as my door frame is a bit narrow on the side, also when you place the sensor and magnet next to each other and slowly part them you can here a quiet click as the magnet is released, this happens well over the 8mm gap instructed to have, surely this means you can fit it with a slightly wider gap, one more thing if I purchase the optional smoke detectors, when they are set off do they actually set the alarm box off or do they have there own (like a normal smoke detector) one more thing, when the alarm goes off ie burgler, and you get your phone message, can you actually turn alarm off via your phone or does it just inform you off a alarm,

Sorry for so many questions, but this forum seems to have all the answers, thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi , and in answer to your questions...

Re the magnetic contacts

You can have them horizontal , vertical or diagonal as long as the magnet is correctly positioned they will work in any plane or direction.

I would not recommend a larger gap than 8mm even if the device seems to still work. The day it doesn't work according to murphy's law will be the day someone breaks in. So yes keep the magnet within 8mm.

Re the smoke detectors. When they activate they will set off the house alarms external siren , however the siren will be a different sound to the normal burglar sound of a constant warble but will activate in a 'broken' siren sound. ie with gaps. This indicates wether the alarm was set off by a burglar or a fire.
The smoke detectors themselves also activate their own internal siren just like a normal smoke alarm.

Should you recieve a call with your prerecorded message telling you your alarm has activated you can turn the alarm off using your phone once you have disconnected the original messsage and phoned your home back.

no probs with the questions always glad to help

I would not recommend a larger gap than 8mm even if the device seems to still work. The day it doesn't work according to murphy's law will be the day someone breaks in. So yes keep the magnet within 8mm.

More likely that you will get false alarms if you have the gap too large.

Or it just won't set as it will falsely register a door as open when it is actually closed.

Sponsored Links

Or it just won't set as it will falsely register a door as open when it is actually closed.

You can still set the 6400 with a door open if that door is your entry exit.
You can't set the alarm with any tamper condition evident allthough you can force arm if requested.

You can set an alarm with a door open?

Incredible.

You can't set the alarm with any tamper condition evident allthough you can force arm if requested.
:eek: :eek:

I dont quite understand what you are hinting at.

With my own alarm that was installed in my home before I moved in to NSI standards (Its texecom with veritas r8 ) you can set the alarm while the family are leaving by the front door (Designated EE) .

You can do exactly the same with the Yale.. ie set the alarm while your EE is open as everyone leaves and the alarm is counting down.

Why the feigned astonishment?

With my own alarm that was installed in my home before I moved in to NSI standards (Its texecom with veritas r8) you can set the alarm while the family are leaving by the front door (Designated EE) .

You can do exactly the same with the Yale.. ie set the alarm while your EE is open as everyone leaves and the alarm is counting down.

Because your original post said that the alarm could be set with the door open.

From your latest post, what you meant was that you could start the setting process with the door open, but providing the door is closed before the exit timer finishes, the system will set as normal.

Two completely different sentences with two completely different meanings.

With my own alarm that was installed in my home before I moved in to NSI standards (Its texecom with veritas r8) you can set the alarm while the family are leaving by the front door (Designated EE) .

Because your original post said that the alarm could be set with the door open.

From your latest post, what you meant was that you could start the setting process with the door open, but providing the door is closed before the exit timer finishes, the system will set as normal.

Two completely different sentences with two completely different meanings.
QFA

"two completely different meanings" makes a world of difference understanding what is being said

in the middle of installing alarm, fixed door contacts and learnt all units in and switched on alarm etc,

Question, what prevents siren sounding as anti tamper springs are being pushed in and out while I position box, I presume anti tamper is set to off, also could someone explain ( home arm, away, burgler) and all that jazz, I just want to enter via front door with say 20 secs to switch off alarm and all other contacts, say rear door and windows to activate alarm immidiately on opening,

Also does the keyfob control deactivate alarm before you enter house, or do you have to open door for door contact to work then deactivate,

I know it wont disable alarm when set off, I mean onn entering house and leaving as normal, ta

Question, what prevents siren sounding as anti tamper springs are being pushed in and out while I position box
Your turn off the anti-tamper feature. It is explained in the user manual.

also could someone explain ( home arm, away, burgler) and all that jazz,
read the user manual

Also does the keyfob control deactivate alarm before you enter house, or do you have to open door for door contact to work then deactivate,
You can use the keyfob from outside the house or inside. If the alarm has been set by keyfob (not control pad) then there is no entry delay or setting delay. This is is the manual.

I know it wont disable alarm when set off
Yes it will.

Question, what prevents siren sounding as anti tamper springs are being pushed in and out while I position box
Your turn off the anti-tamper feature. It is explained in the user manual.

also could someone explain ( home arm, away, burgler) and all that jazz,
read the user manual

You can use the keyfob from outside the house or inside. If the alarm has been set by keyfob (not control pad) then there is no entry delay or setting delay. This is is the manual.

I know it wont disable alarm when set off
Yes it will.

Hi Securit / JohnD

In the case of the 6400 alarm you cannot disable the alarm using the keyfob if the siren has been activated. You have to use the control panel and code to do this.
The keyfob will only unset the alarm after you have entered via your designated entry / exit route. ie opened the door to come in. This is a feature to prevent anyone getting in the house if they happen to find the keyfob you dropped on the lawn

The Home / away . burglar etc is quite simple.
If when the alarm is set you want the device to activate the siren as soon as it triggered then you set it as a burglar device.
If you want it to allow an exit and entry delay then you set it as an entry device.
If you want the device to be disabled when you part set the system (typically a pir on a landing allowing downstairs to be armed but upstairs to be off allowing toilet access etc) then set it as an omit device.
24hr is for a device you wish to be active wether the alarm is set or not. typically this could be a shed or outbuilding you don't use often but which you wish to be alarmed all the time wether the alarm is set or not.

To disable the siren tamper choose from the menu devices/programme siren/siren tamper off.

You will then have an hour before the tamper settings become active again.

Thank you, yaleguy,

Yes I thought you could not deactivate alarm via keyfob if it had been activated, as for the 24 hour ie burgler setting, am I right in saying my front door is entry so I would set that contact as burgler, to give me time to reach control panel, what about window contacts and or pir,s surely they would need to activate alarm instantly and not be on a 20 sec timer if there was a break in so what setting would they be on,

Its all right saying read the manual, but thats why I joined this site to get helpfull frendly advice and tips which you dont get in an insruction book which is not always clear anyway.

Thank you, yaleguy,

Yes I thought you could not deactivate alarm via keyfob if it had been activated, as for the 24 hour ie burgler setting, am I right in saying my front door is entry so I would set that contact as burgler, to give me time to reach control panel, what about window contacts and or pir,s surely they would need to activate alarm instantly and not be on a 20 sec timer if there was a break in so what setting would they be on,

Its all right saying read the manual, but thats why I joined this site to get helpfull frendly advice and tips which you dont get in an insruction book which is not always clear anyway.

Hi Securit.
The 24hr setting and burglar settings are in fact different.
To make it clearer I will desribe the settings I would use in a typical install.

From the edit devices menu you have the option of
ENTRY
BURGLAR
OMIT
24HR

In a home you would typically programe as follows.

Your entry device usually a door contact on the front or back door which leads to your control panel would be set to ENTRY
This would give you a time delay allowing you to leave or enter the property without setting the alarm off immediately.
If you have a pir that you also have to cross to reach your control panel you would set this as entry too.
All other devices would be usually set to burglar. This means they would activate immediately upon detection when the alarm is set.

The next setting OMIT would usually be applied to a pir sensor on the landing upstairs so that you could part set the home with the orange button and any zones stored as omit would not be set.
This typically allows you to arm all your downstairs at night giving protection whilst still allowing movement upstairs without setting off the alarm. (not to complicate things too much you could still have window contacts set as burglar allowing protection at night even when the pirs are omitted).

The last setting is 24hr and this simply means the devices are active all the time wether you have set the alarm or not. Typically this would be a shed or outbuilding or starage room that is rarely accessed or a loft with access via a skylight.

if you are still not sure just list your home layout and the devices you have and I will suggest a layout and settings for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back