Yale premium alarm power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently installed a premium yale alarm that has a wired control panel and the 9v transformer 9V ~230V 50Hz is too short to suit the existing socket. Is it possible to get another power supply transformer with a 3m cable? More importantly does anyone know of one that fits?

Cheers and happy new year![/list]

Sponsored Links
Cant help there with an alternative but you could drop the transformer under the floor and use a std extension lead and socket from the plug.
Everything would be out of site then too.

Cant help there with an alternative but you could drop the transformer under the floor and use a std extension lead and socket from the plug.
You've given some daft advise in the past but this is a step up from that.
....... and very dangerous if something goes wrong.

Never heard of electrical faults causing FIRES? What's the matter with you?

Re site the panel.

Sponsored Links
Hi Guiness,

There are alternative power supplies for virtually everything these days, try 'googling' it or perhaps a trip down ebay might give you some answers, but watch out for the cheap imported stuff, ensure it has a european (CE) appproval stamp or maybe a British kite mark (not seen much of the kite marks these days though) . Also try 'Alert electrical' they are pretty good.

You can extend the cable between the transformer and the connector, but you would need mdf's advice on this if it's more than two core, I'm not a Yale expert, mdf is. If you go down this route don't cut the cable in the centre of the length, looks a bit ugly, perhaps a quarter of the full length from the mains plug in end. However, if the unit is under guarantee, it will be voided if you cut the cable unfortunately.

For the time being though, whilst you are having a look around, use a extension lead and plug into that as a temporary measure. There shouldn't be any need to move the panel, just have the system working first and we can find a suitable transformer... It's not desperately urgent is it ? or is it ? Play safe with extension leads though, ensure that it is not trailing where someone can trip over it.

I'll have a mooch about and get back to you. Maplin would probably have something suitable. Look at the specification of the power supply. It should be in the manual, if not, then look at the power supply itself to find the current, you're looking for something like 500mA or 1A or 1000mA or letters and numbers to that effect.

Have a Happy New Year.

Why would he need slowalarms advice just to extend a bit of 2 core?
Only problem he'll have, if he extends too far, is volts drop. Not panel specific now is it?

But rather than use your john Wayne school of install, better to resite the panel or get electrics sorted.

Hi Guiness,

O.K. I've had a look at the Yale Premium, and I must confess it's a fair bit of kit for the price, good on you. The power supply is 9 volts at 500 millliamps. Haven't had the chance to check out 'Alert Electrical Supplies' yet but 'Maplin' have a power supply with that rating, so it may be worth having a look at the Maplin Site. They also have a range of power supply extension cables. With these, you simply plug your existing connector into the extension cable and then plug the extension cable into the Yale, but you'll need to check them out yourself since, although you say it's about three metres, if you can get away with less, so much the better. It's very doubtful that in practise you shall suffer a voltage loss, however it is safer to use the least amount of extended cable as possible, but don't be 'alarmed' (excuse the pun !), you should be O.K. There are other ways around this without moving the panel and upsetting all the good work you've done, so do you reckon we should take a look at trying this first ? Let me know,

Take Care,

Chain Daisy.

Cheers lads I had thought about adding another socket to accommodate this. However there is an existing phone stand that this conveniently works in with in terms of phone line and seems a lot of work to get it there as a spur, junction etc. We are more than happy to use the socket as its never used.. The extension seems exactly the piece of kit I need, it's only an extra meter off what is given so shouldn't cause to much of a voltage drop. At the moment an extension cable is tucked neatly until sorted so not uegent really.

As for the yale alarm I would recommended it to everyone the only issue has been the cable it's on offer at screwfix at the moment and for the price it's well worth a look.

Anyway thanks once again its much appreciated, I will try and check the end fitment and see if any other chargers fit first.

it is a hundred times easier to move the panel towards the power point, and use a widely-available longer telephone cord to extend the connection to the phone socket.

Re site the panel.

Are you for real? Every cupboard in my kitchen has trapped and unreachable wiring running behind cupboards and we are not talking 9v 500ma here we are talking 240v 13 and 40 amp circuits.

Not only that but sources of water and heat . .

..... and you have to make a point about what? Overloading a 13amp socket with a 9v 500ma transformer?

Whats to stop any normal alarm panel under the stairs setting alight and burning down the house?
Nothing. . . so are you going to advocate only installing end stations in full view? Of course you aren't.

I wish the trolls on here weren't so obsessed with picking faults in others that they can't see how stupid they make themselves look.
There are fires started by phone chargers as it happens but this is when they overheat because someone has dumped clothing or objects on them causing overheating and combustion. ironically they would be safer out of reach.

Re site the panel.

Are you for real? Every cupboard in my kitchen has trapped and unreachable wiring running behind cupboards and we are not talking 9v 500ma here we are talking 240v 13 and 40 amp circuits.

Not only that but sources of water and heat . .

..... and you have to make a point about what? Overloading a 13amp socket with a 9v 500ma transformer?

Whats to stop any normal alarm panel under the stairs setting alight and burning down the house?
Nothing. . . so are you going to advocate only installing end stations in full view? Of course you aren't.

I wish the trolls on here weren't so obsessed with picking faults in others that they can't see how stupid they make themselves look.
There are fires started by phone chargers as it happens but this is when they overheat because someone has dumped clothing or objects on them causing overheating and combustion. ironically they would be safer out of reach.
Read again what he said. It was nothing like the wild scenario you describe.
Euro was correct.
As for your concerns, try actually reading the regs, even though you don't understand them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back