'Yellowy stains' coming through paint...(not from knots)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A bathroom door and it's frame are made out of pine which appears a bit soft, and when they get wet (splashed by the kids) a brown liquid seeps onto the floor. The door is going to be changed, but I want to paint the frame.

However, after having sanded and then primed the frame, yellowy areas (not on any knots) appear through the paint (I tried 2 coats of primer). This also occurs on areas of the frame that have never been wet..

Is there anything else I could use to prevent this possibly coming through the undercoat and satinwood I will be using?

cheers

Sponsored Links
is it an old door frame / door.

if its new the only think i can think off if you say its not from the knots is some varnish / sealent which didn`t take or some kind of glue from the joints, but seems unlikely

Ellal.Is it a water based primer youv been using :?:
Id undercoat my door facing with a normal alkyd or oil based u/coat and then see if the yellow mark come thru.Good luck to ya

Sponsored Links
The door has been bare for at least 4 years..It was planned to change it anyway.

However the frame was stripped a few weeks ago, and the stains are also coming through on parts which are outside the bathroom..

The primer wasn't water based..

There could be Wood Dye on the wood !

Apply Johnstones Aluminium Primer on your current primer.

Then apply Johnstones Alkyd Undercoat (Two Coats)

Then apply Johnstones Alkyd Eggshell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back