Yes another mixer tap problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a mixer tap and yes the cold water is starting to run slowly. It seems that the cold water tap does not undo as far as the hot one. The taps are the normal 'cross' type ones. I have taken off the screw top and there is a screw under that. I have removed the screw but I cannot seem to lift the cross bit off. I cannot see a grub screw that could be holding it, is there anything I can do to get it off so that I can lift the cover and see if I can get the tap to open more?

I hope this explains things clearly.

PS Looking in my DIY book the tap seems to be a mix as it has the handle of a capstan but looks like it has the workings of a shrouded, with that screw going down through the middle.

jodevizes

Sponsored Links
if you mean the capstan on top of the spindle, it might be seized with limescale. Tap it upwards. Or can you raise the cover enough to get at the brass nut that holds the headworks onto the body?

if so, you may be able to repair it, or could fit Tap Revivers which can look very smart and may be easier than getting the whole tap off.

I have manged to get it off with a couple of screw drivers. The tap doesn't move up and down so it must be going on inside. I guess it must be gunged up inside which is stopping it opening up fully.

I cannot pull it apart right now so I will do it next week end. Any ideas what I should get before pulling it apart?

Sponsored Links
as a minimum, spanners, some tap washers, silicone grease (use no other) and PTFE tape. You wind the PTFE tape round screw threads, as well as preventing leaks, it stops them seizing solid. You use the grease on internal moving parts especially the thing that screws up and down the spindle (it has a left-handed thread). A green nylon pan-scourer and some descaler or bathroom cleaning spray and an old toothbrush will bring the parts up like new.

You can also buy complete new tap internals in brass for a few pounds each, but I would take the old ones out first to make sure you buy the same type.

If you are not happy with the taps after re-washering them and reassembling any bits that are out of place, consider Tap Revivers which your plumbers merchant or DIY shed or mail-order supplier will have. They can be a lot more attractive than your old tap threads. The age of the tap is relevant as the BS changed and older ones are a different size (tap revivers usually come with an adaptor for both) but some old ones are very deep. post a pic of your old tap if you like.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129539

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;j...p+reviver&searchbutton.x=10&searchbutton.y=12

The tap has been closed too tight causing the jumper to go down too far and it can't retract back into the head when you try to open it.

Slide up the cover (take the handle off if it makes it easier).
Unscrew the head.
Remove the circlip at the top of spindle.
Push spindle down through head (you may have to give it a tap with the spanner).
Turn spindle anticlockwise to wind jumper in fully.
Replace back into head taking care to line up hex on jumper with hex slot on head.
Bend circlip slightly to tighten and replace on spindle( it fits into a groove)
Replace head, cover and handle.
Job done.

Thank you for your help. I will make sure I have all this to hand, especially the silicone gel ? I guess this is going to be v important when I put everything back together. I assume this will act as a lubricant and help to stop the build up of nasty gunge that stops the tap to deliver the right amount of water.
I hope it will be fixable otherwise the worst case scenario will be I have to buy a new mixer unit which will really dent my weekly budget.
I cannot eat that crap again so I hope this thing is fixable.
Thank you for your input people.

Very fixable. It took me longer to type how to do it than doing the job would have.
Don't worry too much if you haven't got silicon grease there will still be some in the head. You won't need PTFE either.
You might as well change the washer while you are at it.

What do you do when the nut is stuck tight. I have sprayed WD40 into the thing but the thing won't budge.

Any tips??

Have nearly drowned it in WD40 have tried light percussive force and not so light but the bugger still will not budge. I would mention something stronger but we would probably suffer a dawn raid. LOL

It does undo in an anti-clockwise motion doesn't it ?

This just will not budge and I am scared that I am going to break something. Is there a better thing to use as a penetrating oil as WD40 just isn't doing it? Is there a secret plumbers magic dust that will un-stick this thread and let me repair my tap?

Sadly I have neither, nor the available cash to procure any. I thought if I could find a longish pipe to put over the spanner, it might give me a slight advantage, although I am worried that I could bend or break something. Is this strategy something that could work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back