Yet another brick fireplace........

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just stripped the old lime plaster, cement and assorted rubbish from the chimney breast and fireplace.

The arch has dropped on the right hand side and four of the bricks are damaged. The supports are what I have just put in to shore it up just in case.....

How can they be replace without risking the whole wall coming down and is this a job for the amateur or do I need a bricklayer who would probably safely replace them in minutes ?

What sort of cost should I expect if I am told to use a professional in London.

Thanks

Attachments

• WP_20171014_001.jpg
    WP_20171014_001.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 187
  • WP_20171014_002.jpg
    WP_20171014_002.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 178
Sponsored Links
The wall won't come down, so stop worrying. At worst, you'll lose about 4 rows of bricks in a triangle shape from either side of the arch, and you'll just put these back in after you've rebuilt the arch. But as to whether you get a professional in, or do it yourself, depends on your bricklaying skills. You'll need to knock up a former for the shape of the arch you want; you'll place it on the supports, and then brick the arch back up, but with some new bricks looking at those ones. And if you don;t like the result, then you call a proffesional in, but it's well withing the scope of a reasonable DIYer.

Sounds worth a try. I can manage a bit of bricklaying now I know the wall is safe but "knocking up a former" needs a bit of explaining if you dont mind.

You need to create the shape of the arch that you want with some wood. Get a flat piece the width of the fireplace opening, and then add some wooden blocks that rise towards the centre. Then nail a piece of hardboard across the top of the blocks, and you'll have the shape of the arch to support the bricks as you set them in place. And you'll want some small pieces of slate to wedge some of the bricks in place to keep things tight as you push the cement in the courses.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back